Getting and introducing hens to my Ayam Cemani Rooster??? How and good matches..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ayam Cemani Mommy, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Ayam Cemani Mommy

Ayam Cemani Mommy Chirping

May 27, 2019
    Kaufman Texas
    Hello again! I have another question. I have my Ayam Cemani Rooster. He is approximately 4 1/2 months old. I had one hen that I got with him as a present. She died and now he is all alone. I wanted to get hens to go with him. So my question is what kinds, how many, and how old should they be? Also how to introduce them to eachother. He is sweet and will eat out of my hand but with hens Im sure he will be different. 20190526_121829.jpg

Shadrach and BirdsBeesTrees like this.
  2. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    If u cant get ayam cermani then I'd go for leghorn white or black BlackRock or legbar that's what I have with my pair cause they lay different colours and sizes of eggs to the ayam cermani eggs and some of the chicks I get are absolutely stunning
    I'd get them at pol so they will be more used to him before they start laying
    He might also pick on them or be nervous when u first put them in I find that when I separat my ayam cermani rooster to get him check over he is very nervous and pick on the hens for the first few days but then he theres no prob and it was like nothing had ever happened
    As for the amount it depends on the size of ur enclosure or will u be letting them free range?
    I've 2 legbar 1 leghorn 2 BlackRock and an ayam cermani hen with my rooster but mh enclosure is quit big and they free roam 4 days a week

Ayam Cemani Mommy likes this.
  3. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    And for introducing them at night is what I find is quit good when its total dark just place them on the perch and in the morning let them out first thing and they should be fine

4. Ayam Cemani Mommy

May 27, 2019
    Kaufman Texas
    Thank you for the great advice!

5. Ayam Cemani Mommy

May 27, 2019
    Kaufman Texas
    I hate to sound dumb but what do you mean by get them at pol? :idunno

6. Pekin747

Pekin747 Songster

Feb 20, 2019
    Ireland
    No one on here is dumb this website was made to ask questions it stands for point of lay just before they start laying

Ayam Cemani Mommy likes this.
  7. Ayam Cemani Mommy

May 27, 2019
    Kaufman Texas
    :thumbsup Gotcha! Thanks so much for everything.

Pekin747 likes this.
  8. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    I would take this opportunity to build yourself a stable sustainable flock.
    He's still young and as he matures he's probably not going to be quite as sweet as he was.
    I would bend over backwards to make sure you found him some Ayam Cemani hens.
    I don't think it will make much difference whether you got him pullets over six months or adult hens.
    I wouldn't get him more than three hens. I know others will disagree.
    If you can, make him a temporary coop and get him used to it before the hens arrive or at least a partition for him in your existing coop. It doesn't have to be large, it's just a sleeping place for him.
    You should quarantine any newcomers. This may mean building a temporary coop away from the one you have now. If you do quarantine then you will have two coops to manage the introductions from.
    Once the hens arrive (after quarantine period is over) you can let them mingle under supervision for a few hours a day. Your rooster is likely to be overexcited and rough with the hens if they are pullets and if they are mature hens the reverse could be the case.
    Most of all you need to realise that your relationship with your rooster is likely to change.
    This article might help you understand some of what is likely to happen.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: