Getting Araucanas: have questions about sizing, colors, etc.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Agilityscots, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Hi everyone,

I've contacted a breeder who shows Araucana bantams; he has several started chicks available, but I have some questions for you all first.

Right now, I have a 4x5x7 foot coop (20' footprint). I have four large fowl birds in there now; could I fit two more bantams in there, safely and happily? How about three? (WHY did I not build a bigger coop? WHY???)

Also, he's mentioned some colors of birds he has available that I'm not familiar with; what does silver duckwing look like? What does Columbian look like? Blue red splash?

Amy

2. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Helloooo, anyone out there today? I'm very excited about the prospect of new birds, but I must hear from my BYC friends and experts first! Help me, help me!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I don't know about standards and bantams toghether. the space sounds ok. I don't know about duckwind but columbian is white with a few black flecks or lines around the neck. I like arucanas they seem cool but difficult.

Good Luck with new birds
    Henry

4. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Wait, Henry, tell me more...why are they difficult? Have you had them? And is it a bad idea to put standards and bantams together?

Amy

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Columbian will look like a light brahma. There is a lot to breeding araucana. This should give you an overview of what you are getting into and it has pics of the types. members.shaw.ca/CanadianAraucanaSociety/

Unlike many other breeds, the difference in size between an araucana LF and a bantam is not as striking.

6. kstaven

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Most large fowl will tower over a standard araucana. So the size may be an issue.

7. MRW

MRW Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    Gales Ferry, CT
    I've heard you can put standard and bantam together, though I have yet to try it myself. I had about 6 bantam orps and then I bought an aracauna from sky blue egg won it on eggbid.com she had no problem mixing in with my orps, and she is so friendly, she's our favourite bird now! She's even friendlier than the orps we hatched and raised ourselves! She's also skinnier than the orps and lays a bigger egg than any of them. If you get the chance check out skyblueegg.com they even have photos of the different colors. I do think the eggs are more on the green side than blue, but our bird is so friendly I can't wait till she puts up more for sale because I want another [​IMG]

8. kstaven

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    For their size, araucana do lay quite a large egg.

9. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Thanks everyone. I have no interest in breeding Araucanas, I'd just like a colored egg-layer, and this breeder is giving away trios or sets of four for free. They're bantams, which means I can get more in my current coop. I've had real difficulty finding anyone with ANY breed of chicks or started chicks in Ohio; it seems no one's selling anything, and I don't want to hatch out my own or get day-olds unless I absolutely have to. So I'm eager to find out more about bantam Araucanas since this seems like a great deal and would work out to be what I want.

Amy

10. Zylphrix

Zylphrix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2007
    Hillsborough NC
    I have mostly Bantam aracauna's in my flock and no standards but I dont find them difficult at all .. and I dont think space is an issue .. just give them a roost pole up high and they should adapt well.

I want a non bantam aracauna just to see the size diff

Mark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by