Getting baby chicks on Friday and need help telling the breeds apart!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CoensChickens, Aug 11, 2014.

1. CoensChickens

CoensChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    Alpha, WI
    Hi everyone, I am receiving some baby chicks on Friday, blue laced Wyandottes, Golden Laced Wyandottes, Silver Laced Wyandottes and speckled Sussex. The breeder will not separate before shipping and I'm looking for some tips on how to tell them apart when the time comes. There are others going in on the order with me so it is very important I can separate them.
    If anyone can help me with some advice or possibly some comparison pictures, it would be so much appreciated!!!
    Thanks to everyone in advance!

2. chickencreek

chickencreek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    from my experience all baby wyandottes look the same until they get their flying feathers which is a couple of weeks

3. CoensChickens

Jun 7, 2014
    Alpha, WI
    Darn, I was hoping for some possible signs, like a little darker chest or something. :-( thank you though!

4. Kathryn173

Kathryn173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    In my birds the SLW seem to have little or no brown on their head, only rarely on a female. The GLW and BLRW look very alike, slightly more brown on the GLW. Also this probably doesn't occur in all strains but the males tend to have more yellow on their wings while the females are normally darker, grayish or black wings and not much yellow on their chest.
    [​IMG]
    This pic has 2 of each in it.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The Sussex should be easy to tell from the Wyandottes. Sussex have straight combs and white/pink legs while Wyandottes have rose combs and yellow legs.

Are you needing to tell those Wyandottes from each other, or from other breeds? I'm not sure from your post.

Here's a link to MMM hatchery. They have some good videos of the different color Wyandotte chicks, you can study them and see the differences. I think it should be fairly easy once you have a good reference point.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...oGJhhoJ4G5VQ0gd-bFZb8Kw&bvm=bv.72938740,d.cGU

6. CoensChickens

Jun 7, 2014
    Alpha, WI
    I need to tell the different Wyandottes apart. Thanks for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by