Getting baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickedies, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Chickedies

Chickedies In the Brooder

Mar 21, 2018
    My name is Kate I am getting chicks and we have a broody chicken (hairy legs) it is really cold outside like 30 will my hairy legs keep them warm all the shealter they have is a bucket which is a being used as a nest will the chicks be ok?

2. Chickedies

Mar 21, 2018
    What do I do?

3. Chickens_4Life

Chickens_4Life Chirping

Mar 19, 2018
    Well, can you give me a picture of the bucket? I will be able to tell better.

4. PachecoPeeps

PachecoPeeps Songster

Mar 2, 2018
    Newman, CA
    How long has she been broody? When do you plan on giving her the chicks? Do you have a back up brooder in place in case she doesn't accept them or attacks them? How many chicks are you giving her and is she a full size hen or a banty? As long as you don' have too many and she accepts them she should keep them warm.

5. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Without seeing photos it’s difficult to say but I would give her more than a bucket as that sounds pretty draughty. Provided they are out of the draught, have nesting material and she doesn’t have too many chicks they should all be fine in the 30s. Mom will keep them warm.

6. Chickedies

Mar 21, 2018
    Nemind when we put the chicks in with her she attacked them!!

7. PachecoPeeps

PachecoPeeps Songster

Mar 2, 2018
    Newman, CA
    Did you do it at night or in the day? It tends to be easier to do at night. You slip them under her while she sleeps.

8. Chickedies

Mar 21, 2018
    That’s what I did wrong ok thanks but now they are too old the already have most of their feathers but thanks for your help!

PachecoPeeps likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: