Getting back into the coop

zsquared08

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 3, 2013
Hey everyone ! I am new to this all and I am scared to leave my chickens roam the yard so this is the 3rd time I have let them out and I always keep an eye on them so they dont wander off to far, but how the heck do you get them back into the coop when its time ? I know alot of people let them roam all day and they just go back in at night but with my work schedule I cannot do that during the week and my neighbor has a dog so I cannot leave them unsupervised. The first time I got them with corn and they followed me in but not yesterday my fiance and I had to chase them and catch them all, which definitely was time consuming and I felt like they were just scared
sad.png
Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions ?
Thanks everyone !!!
big_smile.png

Hey everyone ! I am new to this all and I am scared to leave my chickens roam the yard so this is the 3rd time I have let them out and I always keep an eye on them so they dont wander off to far, but how the heck do you get them back into the coop when its time ? I know alot of people let them roam all day and they just go back in at night but with my work schedule I cannot do that during the week and my neighbor has a dog so I cannot leave them unsupervised. The first time I got them with corn and they followed me in but not yesterday my fiance and I had to chase them and catch them all, which definitely was time consuming and I felt like they were just scared
sad.png
Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions ?
Thanks everyone !!!
big_smile.png
Let them out a few hours before dark, they will put themselves to bed. Just before that go to bed time call them an feed a treat. If I need mine in a little earlier, I call them ''here chick chick''. Every time that I call them they get something. Whether its fresh pan of water to a handful of oats, or a chunk of zucchini from the garden, they always get something when I call. If I need them in early, its no problem! Try it you may be pleasantly surprised!

Last edited:
I agree with Top Knot. I let mine out about an hour before dark, gradually making it earlier each day. And several times a day I go out there with something-sunflower hearts, grapes (their favorite), watermelon, cheerios n milk. I use the same treat container too. (very small amount of treats-they'll clean it up in 2 minutes flat) So now I step out and say GIRLIES, they see me and the container and come running and flapping as fast as they can. They'll follow me all around the yard and greedily run into the coop anytime I need them to so they can get their treats. Watching them come running is pretty funny.. CHICKEN RUN!
wee.gif

Thank you both for the replies !
big_smile.png
I am going to try that sounds great ! haha Yes it was definitely a chicken run in my yard yesterday, pretty hilarious

Back
Top Bottom