getting bigger (pic)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by outdoor junkie, Apr 18, 2011.

1. outdoor junkie

outdoor junkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    [​IMG]

Starting to get big, and starting to have quite the personalities. I can't walk by without them running towards me peeping they're heads off wanting a handout. Can't wait for it to warm up so they can go outside. Any ideas on what kind of birds I have?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    What color legs do the black ones have? How old are they? I have 6 week olds and their personality is just starting to show!

3. outdoor junkie

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Their legs are black also, theyre feathers seem to have some brown to red colored flecking in them. They are around 5 weeks old. They seem to have their pecking order all figured out already. one will sit up on top of the tub and not allow any of the other girls up there. Pretty amusing, funnest game is throwing in a worm and watching the game of keep away take place. Cannot wait to get them out into the yard to watch how they act.

4. outdoor junkie

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Just got done changing the sheet I use as the floor in the pic and I let them run around the garage for a few minutes and they wouldn't leave my leg.

5. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Haha! Well they sound like black australorps except you said they have some red/brown feathers too. Below are some pictures of my black australorps for comparison...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are my production reds...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you want any more pictures just let me know.

6. outdoor junkie

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Them do look like mine, it's hard to tell the color of the feather tints under the red light, but I can tell they are not solid black. Are the two pics of yours different sexes. I notice one has the crest thing on it's beak and one doesn't, both of mine have it, or is that nothing. i was told all four of mine were hens.

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Mine are all suppose to be pullets. But even if you get a chick labeled pullet there is always a possibility that they could be a cockerel. The very last pic I posted I am thinking may be a rooster. But I am not 100% sure yet. What do you mean by 'Crest thingy'? I am not sure if you are referring to wattles or combs. (if you are not sure, the comb is the thing that is between the chickens eyes and the wattles are the things that hang on each side of the chickens face) The reason that I think that the chick in my last pic is a cockerel is because its comb is pretty red and big and its wattles are getting big too. Both hens and roosters have Wattles and combs but generally the roosters are redder and bigger then the hens. I also think that I could have a rooster because its legs are bigger then all the others. I could still have a pullet but I wont know for sure until I hear a cocka-doodle-doo or I find an egg! haha!

8. outdoor junkie

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Yeah I was referring to the combs. sorry I'm new at this. Thanks for the help though and them are some good looking birds.

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Oh dont worry, I am pretty new too. I just got chicks in March but I have learned A LOT on this site. And thanks! [​IMG] I cant wait until I get fresh eggs!

10. outdoor junkie

Mar 28, 2011
    Flushing
    Yeah I'm looking forward to that too. Farm fresh omelettes.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by