getting bitties to shut up

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Sep 27, 2010.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I start free ranging broods at 3 weeks without hen. They are kept in coops until I get off work when they are allowed till dark under my supervision. Problem I have is when chicks go to their box they keep making all sorts of racket as they jostle for position in group. This racket is likely to attract predators that might otherwise not visit. Any thoughts on how to get chicks to settle in faster. Those attended by hen or on rare occasions broody rooster are much quiter.

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Nope thats normal chicken behaviour.

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    30' of roosting poles and they still squabble over the perfect spot, just chickens being chickens.

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Why are they so much quiter with mother present?

5. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:Probably because she settles the squabbles. [​IMG]

6. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    My bitties always quieted down faster when the light was on. R they warm enough?

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:low temps make for worse chatter. Still make too much racket on warm nights.

8. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I would think any predator close enough to hear the chicks squabbling would already be close enough to smell them anyway. I don't think they are any more in danger because of the noise.

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    For some reason all my sub-flocks have produced less chatter when settling on roost for night. It has been getting much cooler than when making observations previously. Normally birds in physical contact making most racket. Birds at bottom of bittie pile are worst.

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have a bunch of chicks that retreat to a box every night outside the bedroom window. The box is then coverered by a coop that keeps out owls and oppossums but would only slow other predators. At dawn the followingmorning the coop is removed and chicks promptly go to feeder and waterer near plants and fence line serving as cover from hawks during day.

I expect to hear coop being pushed and chicks to increase chatter when predators come calling. Problem with arrangement now is that chicks extended period of chatter reduces my sensitivity to any posssible distress calls. Getting them to hush more quickly should make it so I am more likely to respond when needed versus sleep through a predators visit. I may also result to baby monitor near mobile coops once last cohort big enough to withstand cold of winter. Any recommendations on how to keep bitties from calling wolf all the time? The quality of sound very different with chatter in respect to when predator is about but still sound must be reduced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by