Getting bobs??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sonjab314, Feb 25, 2011.

1. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I think I would like to get a pair of bobs but.....I have a large rabbit hutch that I could use for the parent pair but I don't know how to house the babies until they are old enough to process. I know they do not do well in colonies style housing so how do you do it? I'm looking at Georgia Giants. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Well, that's not necessarily true. Adequate space per bird is key. Add good protein food, plenty of water, and don't expose them to the frigid elements.............and at that point, be prepared to see some......let's just say, jabs from the beak here and yonder from one ... or all .... because.........._______________ (the blank could hold several reasons). [​IMG]

3. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Well, that's not necessarily true. Adequate space per bird is key. Add good protein food, plenty of water, and don't expose them to the frigid elements.............and at that point, be prepared to see some......let's just say, jabs from the beak here and yonder from one ... or all .... because.........._______________ (the blank could hold several reasons). [​IMG]

How much space do you recommend for these birds?

4. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms

How much space do you recommend for these birds?

Well, (some) will consider that with subjective answers. I'm gonna RECOMMEND "Bare Minimum" 1 square foot per bird. Now, of course, 1.5 per bird is better.....as is 2 getting real spacious. (And I'm giving you "grown bird figures as well). I've been "pushing the envelope" so to speek for 2 years now. By that, I mean averaging 1 square foot per bird. The true test of how tolerant of each other with that amount of space is about to approach......."The Breedin Season". I've got 51 birds in a 60 square foot colony pen, with 1:3 male / female ratio. All is well now. 3 - 4 weeks from now??? We'll watch REAL close daily to see who can't play well with others. At that point, they'll have to leave the "Colony Inns & Suites" ......... and move over to the Motel 6. ..... and yes, we'll leave the light on for'em juuuuussssst a lil' while, but not all night! [​IMG]

5. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    How do you house the babies and at what age do you process them? Do they grow as fast as they Coturnix?

6. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Oh, and if you have "several" together, sooner or later one's gonna walk by and try to "peck a plug" out of another one's head, neck, toes, whatever. That's where you put a little pile of evergreen branches over in the corner so when Frank sneaks over to Roger's pretty Miss Peggy, and trys to "You-Know-What".....and Roger sees it and starts in on ol' Frank's noggin like a jack-hammer, he's got somewhere to go hide for a bit till ol' Roger cools off...... [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  7. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Some funny $hit Randall, made me laugh out loud. Good post.

9. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I keep them in a brooder like the one I show in this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=451101
    I've built a bigger one of this version for bigger hatches. As for the age I process them?? ............. They could be processed at 20 weeks, but I'm letting mine get at least 8 months old. They seem to get a little "plumper" in the breast as they near a year old. [​IMG]

10. _Randall_

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Some funny $hit Randall, made me laugh out loud. Good post.

I'm in a good mood, Bill ............. it's Friday, and I'm on my 2nd "mug" of wine (and yeah, my wine comes in a 5 liter box with a plastic liner....... [​IMG] )
    BUT REALLY, I'm in a good mood cause I caught ol' Frank toppin' pretty Miss Peggy this afternoon.......... It won't be long now....... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by