Getting broodie to accept new chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by janjan1, Apr 7, 2009.

1. janjan1

janjan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Armuchee, GA
    My broody hatched out two chicks a couple days ago. That night something got the two chicks. She was very upset, looking for them, clucking etc. So I stopped at the local hardware store, CHICK DAYS, picked up some to give back to her. I placed her and them in the nest and at this moment she is ok & keeping them warm. What is the chances that she will accept them and continue to raise/nurture them as her own? I tried this on another hen that was sitting on eggs for about 10 days and she attacked the chicks. I guess she knew they weren't her's. Anyone else tried to get a broodie to accept chicks?
    Jan

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    10 day realy isn't long enuff for a broody to accecpt chicks, the other hen its 50/50, keep an eye on them and see what happens. I had a hen that lost her chicks take on keets that were 5 days old, with out a problem, you never know??

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  3. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I have one silkie hen that will mother anything. I have another that kill an extra chick I tried to give her. Depends on the hen.

4. janjan1

janjan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Armuchee, GA
    well I brought home 5 and placed them under her at dark. She really didn't like it but accepted them. Before bed I went back down to check on them, all looked ok. This morning found two dead out of the nest. Looks like they got cold and died. Sooo I took the three remaining chicks, placed them in my "brooder" with a nice heat lamp on, water and chick starter until I could take them back to the place I got them from. I'd rather return them than have their blood on my hands as well. I'm just sorry I even attempted to get this broodie some relief from her grief.
    Jan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by