Getting chick tomorrow or friday

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Cabotchick, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Cabotchick

Cabotchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    heres the thing. I am kinda wondering about them sitting in truxks and at the post office. how early has your post office called you. i personally dont care if its 4 am. I just want my abbies safe when they get here. Ordered 75 so im thinking that the amount will help but i saw all the snow east of the MIssissippi and am worried about the feathered friends but too late as i believe they are on their wway . Its 50 where i am now, so im hoping they are okay....

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would really recommend you call your PO or even go down there and tell them the chicks are due. My PO was quite grateful I did this. They like to take the name and phone number so they have it in case the hatchery neglects to put the phone number on the mailing label. They called me when the truck arrived, well before opening time, I think maybe 5:30 (it's been a while.) They were happy for me to pick up the chicks well before opening time as well, out of concern for the chicks.

3. Cabotchick

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks I did call the P.O. they werent too informative but said thanks for the heads up. Thats why I asked if people had received chicks nad then id have a better idea

4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I too have chicks in transit & hate knowing they could get stuck in the cold, however they are packaged in a small enough box where there body heat along with a heat pack will keep them all safe temperature. My post office usually calls about 730 & I go around back knock on the door & they give me my chicks. I have had chicks arrive during N unexpected cold front. The chicks where cold, but warmed up quickly.
    Enjoy your new chicks!

5. Cabotchick

Jan 10, 2013
    they all arrived safely and healthy1 my post iffice DIDNT CALL ME . i had to call them. they said they were waiting as not to call too early, yet i had said. 4 am i didnt care CALL me. Oh well My healthy sent me very good chickens all well adn teweety in my chickens rearing room

6. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I got called at 4 AM before. They will call for live chicks but for hatching eggs no matter how big my phone number with the message "please call this upon arrival" is written on the box, they just send it out in the bumpy, cold mail truck anyway and leave it on my porch til I get home from work. Grrrrr! The PO can be irritating sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by