Getting chickens into their hen house at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by janetaba, Aug 13, 2014.

1. janetaba

janetaba Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    Sugar Land, Texas
    So our girls are out in their coop/run, and the first night out we had to go and round them up and place them back into the hen house part of the coop. This has been happening for the last couple of days. We have a light inside the hen house and it comes on at dark. Last night when I went out to put them back into the hen house, a couple of them actually started moving towards the hen house and went inside (after I entered the run and walked toward them). I only had to pick up a couple of them and put them into the hen house.
    So, does that mean that they are learning???
    Silly birds.

8:30 pm CST
    Well, just went out to check on them/put them up for the night, and guess what - they were all in the hen house, except for the little one, who was running around outside of the run because she can squeeze out between the bars. Caught her and put her away, and then closed the door.
    Awesome! They did learn!

2. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    I had to round mine up for a few days too. I don't leave a light on in the coop and now they just go back in there as soon as the sun starts going down all on their own. Glad yours are learning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by