1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting chickens to lay eggs more slowly

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Katt66, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    Yeah, I know. I'm probably the ONLY person in the whole world who wants her chickens to lay more slowly. I sound crazy. But here's my reasoning. I am, first off, very thankful to my girls every day that they bless me with an early morning gift. But I do know from reading up and it makes sense to me that chickens lay darker eggs at the beginning of their cycle and that the slower the egg moves through the chicken's reproductive tract, the longer it is in contact with the "paint" and the darker the coating that will be on it when it is laid. So if a chicken lays eggs every three days, it'll lay darker eggs than a chicken that lays eggs every single day.

This seems to be what I'm seeing with my girls too. I have two Sebrights, a Gold Laced and a Silver Laced.

Here's a picture of their eggs {along with my Buff Orpington's first and my White Leghorns}
    [​IMG]

First off, the Buff Orpington's egg is absolutely luscious. It looks like it's made of milk chocolate. It's not shiny at all but has a rich matte finish on it. I know not to expect all of her eggs to be this gorgeous as it's her first ever and had a LONG time to work it's way into the world. If you look at the eggs in the bottom row, those are my Sebright's contributions. The 1st, 4th, and 6th are from the Silver Laced who only lays every 2nd or 3rd day. They're darker with that same rich matte finish. The other three are from the Gold Laced who lays every single day (I swear she's competing with my Leghorn, little girl's gonna wear herself out ^_^) Anyway, her eggs are much lighter and shiny like the Leghorns. I'm guessing both due to her eggs moving so quickly through.

So, I would love if I could have them all lay brilliantly colored smooth matte finished eggs. If there's a way to make this happen without doing any harm whatsoever to the chicken anyway.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    In short, no. The best advice I can give is to look into getting some heritage birds who lay less frequently than production birds. That said, I've never seen an egg that dark from a Buff Orpington! Did you see her lay it? Is it possible it was actually laid by another breed that naturally lays darker eggs.

Some breeds - like Marans and Welsummers - naturally lay dark eggs. I have a Cuckoo Marans who lays a dark egg 2 out of every 3 days. My BCM laid every other day and hers were the darkest eggs I've ever seen. But that is because those breeds naturally lay dark eggs - the frequency of the laying had nothing to do with it.

What I think you may be confusing is that dark egg laying breeds will lay the darkest eggs at the start of a laying cycle and they will gradually get lighter as the months go by. In other words, it has nothing to do with the frequency of their laying but the amount of time that has passed in their laying cycle. So in spring they will lay very dark eggs and as the months wane they will get lighter until by the time they break to molt in fall, their eggs will be at their lightest (though in the case of my hens, still much darker than a light brown egg layer).

3. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    Nope it was definitely the Buff Orpington. Caught her sitting on the nest this morning when I went to collect the eggs. I knew she'd be the next to start, she's just over six months and her wattles and comb have gotten much darker and bigger over the past month or so. I was still surprised when I opened the access door expecting to see a white egg and maybe a smaller cream or two. Instead there was Dumpy's big orange butt.
    The only other bird close to laying age is the slightly younger Black Orpington. I do have a Welsummer pullet but she was only hatched Oct 1st. So I'd be really really surprised if it was her laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by