Getting chickens to perch

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Becca, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Becca

Becca Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2007
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum, so firstly, hello!

I purchased 3 chickens a week and half ago, and for the first 5 days they put themselves to bed on their perches, however, since then they have decided they would rather sleep in the nest box... i have heard taht you can cover up the nest boxes so they cant get into them, but they are 18 weeks old, so i don't want to discourage them from laying, (although they havent started yet)... Does anyone have any suggestions that i can try plesase? At the moment i am putting them back onto the perch when they move off it, but they dont seem to be learning! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Is it possible that the roost is too small for them?

oh, and welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    Is the roost higher than the nest boxes? If it isn't, that can be your problem. Also, if you wait until it's totally dark and then place them on the roost, they won't get off for the night. Eventually, they'll get the hint! [​IMG]
    Welcome!

4. Becca

Becca Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2007
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

There is definatly enough space for them all, there are only 3 of them, and enough space for lots more!

I had actually noticed when i put them to bed tonight that the roost is the same height as the nest box, so i have blocked it off for tonight, and will look into heightening it tomorrow. Fingers crossed that will sort it out. If it doesnt work, will it cause problems if i block the nest box, perhaps until they start actually laying? Also, how long should i expect it to take until they do learn to go on the perch?

[​IMG]

5. Galaxie_Man

Galaxie_Man Chillin' With My Peeps

I initially had to close off my nest boxes when I first moved the birds to the coop. They were sleeping and pooping in them. Now that they lay, they sleep on the perch, and lay in the boxes.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:When i asked if the perch was big enough, i meant for their feet.......not the amount of birds. I just thought that if the perch was too small, the birds might not feel stable enough.

7. Becca

Becca Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2007
    Quote:my bad, sorry, yes, it is wide enough. i have made the perch higher now, so we will see tonight if that helps! [​IMG]

8. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Welcome Becca,

If it doesnt work, will it cause problems if i block the nest box, perhaps until they start actually laying? Also, how long should i expect it to take until they do learn to go on the perch?

From my experience blocking the nest for a while might be the answer. And if the roost(perch) is higher then they should take to it quickly.

Hope that is of some help.
    Randy​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by