1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

getting chickens to roost inside the house

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sioux7, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Sioux7

Sioux7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    My coop has two roosts out side the hen house and one insde. You would think the girls would want to roost inside now that we are having 27 degree nights, but they are still roosting on the roosts out side the hen house but inside the coop.

My husband wants to take down the roosts outside for winter. Is this a good idea? The hen house has a light inside, but what good is that if they are roosting out side the house? This is my first winter, so I'm still learning. Susan

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Once they get used to roosting somewhere, it is hard to break them from roosting there. a few of my birds like to roost outside, so i let them. They will crowd together for warmth on those cold nights.

You could take away the light, remove the outside roost, and put them in the coop each evening. they should learn to roost in the coop in a few days.

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    As it gets dark, the outside roosts are likely easier to see and so they go there. I would either shut them in for at least 3 days so they get into the routine for roosting inside or remove the outside roosts until they have roosted inside for a week and then put them back. You could also consider adding a small light in the coop around bedtime. They will go inside toward the light as it gets dark.

4. Sioux7

Aug 17, 2012
    Ah, I will try this. The light was on the inside of the hen house though. I call the Coop, the outer area that includes the run. It is completely under cover. The house has a ladder they climb every day to get to their nest box where they go every day.

In side the house is a roost as well as the two that are in the outer area. Some how I don't feel as if I'm explaining this well. It's like the gardencoop.com.

5. Sioux7

Aug 17, 2012
    I think this is what I will do and see if this works. Many thanks to both suggesters of solutions.

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Could be they are avoiding the light too. Locking them in it is the best idea. Removing the outside roosts isn't too bad but they do like a place to roost outside during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by