Getting chickens used to dogs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mirandaleecon, Apr 17, 2016.

1. mirandaleecon

mirandaleecon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    I have about 50 or so free range chickens and ducks but I have never had a dog with them until recently. We just got an Anatolian Sheppard as a LGD and the chickens are petrified of him. Understandably so because all they have known of dogs was stray ones attacking them and the day we brought the puppy home a coyote killed 14 of them.
    This dog is the sweetest dog though. He mostly doesn't even acknowledge the chickens. If he does it's out of curiosity, never aggression.
    He is in a pen where all of the birds can see him and we take him out to hang out with everyone supervised. All the birds (and my goats) just avoid him though. Now I'm worried he will be bonded more to us then the animals he's supposed to protect. Any advise??

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    My Shepard mutt is totally bonded to me, completely uninterested in the birds. She still does her job wonderfully mostly because she does not want any foreign animals in her territory. The birds remain in the yard naturally and the dog protects the yard. I know you can get dogs to bond to the animals they are to protect, I have never had one though. Mostly I just train the dogs to fight and kill any weasle, raccoon, coyote, that strays into the yard and to ignore the birds.
    One important thing to train your dog to do is never leave the yard. Coyotes are very clever, one will lure an unsuspecting dog out of the yard and then several coyotes will ambush the dog and kill it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by