Getting chicks at TSC Chick Days this month

new2chickens

Songster
11 Years
Mar 2, 2008
So I am counting down to Chick Days (march 7th -29th) at Tractor Supply!! Anyone been to Chick Days at TSC...I am wondering if their chicks are straight run or if you can get sexed chicks.

If they are straight run..I guess I will order from a hatchery...anyone know a hatchery that will ship 4 or 5 chicks??

If they have sexed chicks I plan to get 1 EE roo and 2 EE hens and 1 or 2 Orpington hens.

I have read many of the getting started with chicks/what do you need type threads and viewed the info on BYC homepage. I have my list printed of what I need! My question is I have a Banker's Box that appears to be 1' X 2' would that be big enough for 4 to 5 chicks (for how long). Also how do I go about introducing them to my 2 mixed hens and my 2 roos (will be 1 roo, while I have the chicks, and no roo after the roo chick is old enough to be protector of the flock) My birds are free range, could I start bringing the chicks out once they are old enough and keeping them in a dog exercise pen so they can all be around each other??

Any and All advice greatly appreciated!!

Sarah

I have been to and gotten chicks are spring chick days. It really depends on the store but ours had...

1 bin of assorted pullets
2-3 bins of assorted straightrun
1 bin of ducklings
1 bin of bantams

Im happy with the birds I got from TSC and the minimum you can buy is 6....but usually they let you get away with getting just a few.
Good Luck!
big_smile.png

All the more reason hubby will have to let me get six!! He really only wants me to get one roo and 2 hens to replace the current roos!

I never knew they had chick days...what are those like? Are they the only days you can buy chicks?

I'm getting mine from TSC this month too.
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
Ok...so I am looking at TSC online to get price ideas for what I need...

Do I need starter/grower feed and a bag of chick grit???

With the starter/grower feed should I get the 50lb or the 20lb bag. Will only have 6 chicks.

Sarah

Our TSC is only going to have straight run assortment bins. I was told that if we wanted the ducklings, only pullets, or specific breeds then we could order in quantities of 25 from their brochure which they order from both Mt. Healthy and Privett this year. HTH.

For the folks w/ a TSC and a feed store...which is usually cheaper on supplies??

Also what do chicks run at YOUR TSC?? I wonder if the prices vary store to store

Thanks
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom