Getting chicks in 2 weeks!! Time to start prepping the brooder!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fluffpuffgerbil, Jan 24, 2014.

1. fluffpuffgerbil

fluffpuffgerbil Chillin' With My Peeps

Found out yesterday I think it was that Wilco, our NW local feed store, is getting their chicks in starting 2/7! According to their chick list, they'll have all but one of the breeds I really want then. I wanted to get a leghorn, but they don't get those until the 19th =( So I'm gonna go for a Wyandotte or an Australorp in its place I think.

But I was originally going to use a rubbermaid tote for the brooder, but last night and thanks to another thread on here, I remembered we had a portable fold out crib that we used for our dog when she was a pup! So we dug that out of our storage and I got it set up in my room today, well, sort of set up. It still needs bedding and a way to support the heat lamp(we didn't buy a clamp lamp. Still might go get a clamp for it though at some point). But the crib is about 25"wx38"lx30"h, so it's a good size. I'm hoping I won't need to put a covering on the top of it for awhile until they get big enough to jump out of it. And since it's in my room, cats can't get in.

Anyway, I also bought a feeder and a waterer today along with the heat lamp and infared heat bulb. =D

What should I put in the bottom of the crib though? I was planning on using aspen(don't like the thought of using pine and/or cedar especially when I know it's bad for rats and reptiles and I have both of those in my room as well. Aspen is safe for everyone and not that dusty), but should I lie some towels down first or newspapers before putting the aspen over it?

Also, when do they start roosting so I know when I should start making some small roosts for the chickies?

I think that's all I need to know for now---- will post pictures eventually, but I can't remember if I read there was a post limit you had to hit before you could post links and/or pictures

So excited to get my six(maybe eight?) little chickies in two weeks from today.... Birthday present, too, since my birthday is in exactly a week from today and chicks are a week after that! =D

((I'm planning on getting a couple Easter Eggers, a Buff Orpington, a Golden Laced Wyandotte, perhaps a black Australorp, and I'm not sure what type my mom and my older sis wants. My younger sis is getting one of the EEs))

2. fluffpuffgerbil

Found a way to hang the light over the crib using my lizard's light hook and used something else for his light. It's a bit cramped in my room now and accessing my leopard gecko, rats, and dubia roaches will take some maneuvering, but I think it will work for the couple months they will have to be in here

3. HRoseC95

HRoseC95 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2013
    Congrats on almost getting new chicks! Were getting ours on the same day! Your brooders sounds good. But I'm no expert! The only thing I would worry about is the dust from them scratching.

4. fluffpuffgerbil

Well, the nice thing with the crib is that it's only mesh on two sides, and one of the sides has a flap, so I can always close it if needed at some point. I don't know, my room can get dusty already. Might have to change the filter in my air purifier and move it a little nearer to the brooder =P

5. fluffpuffgerbil

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Couple pics of the crib brooder. You can see the lamp hanging over it(the cord won't be in the brooder like it is right now when it's plugged in and I can lower the lamp if needed, since it might be to high up right now. For size reference, the waterer is 1qt and it's a bit deep so we might add some marbles to the bottom of it so the chicks don't do anything dumb, and the feeding trough is 12 inches long, so you can see the space here is pretty big! I might have to move the brooders position some so I can easily get to my geckos and bearded dragon directly behind it(which you can see in the top pic)

Edit: Forgot to add I'm not leaving it just with newspapers. I want to put aspen shavings covering the newspaper. And under the newspaper, the mat of the crib is double bagged in plastic trash bags to protect the mat from any leakage. This thing may be over 15 years old and a bit dingy, but we don't want to completely destroy it with chicks!!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  6. southernblubird

southernblubird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    I made a stand from PVC pipe for the brooder. Super excited about the packnplay idea! I'm securing it with bags of sand on the feet and zip tie the cord. This was a quick shot I sent my husband to show him the stand :) [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

7. southernblubird

southernblubird Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2013
    Middle Tennessee
    [​IMG]

Again not the finished thing. Congrats on the
    new chickies!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  8. fluffpuffgerbil

That's a really nice stand! Might have to do that if I end up moving the brooder out of my room/become in need of a better stand anyway.

Good idea, I love it and I love PVC pipe

9. HRoseC95

HRoseC95 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2013
    Your brooder looks great! They are going to be some spoiled little birds:D.

10. rottnwarrior

rottnwarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    You look like you're well on track and doing great. The first thing I will stress and can't stress enough... Chicks are dust machines!! It will be so cute watching them at first until you walk in and realize there's 2" of dust EVERYWHERE! I highly recommend closing the pen up.
    The second thing is... Noise. Cute little peeps during the day turn into crazy loud clucks and cackles all night long that make sleep impossible. (I have a newborn that's up at least every hour and a half and I'd choose that over the birds at night in a brooder) I have a designated area in the shed for brooding because of these reasons.
    Not raining on your parade I promise. I'm excited to see the new babies and you seem to be all set. I just wanted to make sure you knew about this stuff too so you didn't get caught by surprise. Good luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by