Getting chicks this late in the season

Anny

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Detroit Michigan
It's almost Sep, meaning fall is just around the corner (I live in michigan)

I've been looking for amaracanas or EE pullets or hens with no luck, but some one contacted me today that they have hatching eggs that are due any day now.

My question is.... is it to late in the summer to get baby chicks. How would I go about getting them used to winter.

Also could 2 baby chicks be ok or would I have to get more (I want two more hens)

What you opinion? should I wait till spring next year?

As baby chicks they will need a heat source for up to 6 weeks or more. As the weather gets cooler you may have to extend the heat lamp for another couple weeks and wean them to just a lamp at night for a short time. Once they feather out, with a draft free house, deep bedding to snuggle in and proper roosts to help protect their feet, they should do just fine for you.

I would get more than 2. Baby chicks are not so eaily sexed. If one is male - there goes the plan of adding 2 pullets. Also, chicks often seem fine one day and are fatally ill the next. It is really unpredictable. You may want to consider 3 - 5.

I got my chickens last September and they did fine. EE's have pea combs, so they are less prone to frostbite.
Last fall it stayed warm well into October. As a matter of fact, most of our trees were stll holding their leaves until November, which is odd for Indiana.
The chicks were fully feathered and into the coop by November. I did use a heat lamp on cold nights, and they had an indoor run for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom