Getting chicks this weekend! So excited! :D

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aoxa, Feb 27, 2012.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

This will be my first time raising chicks. I've started with feathered pullets above 6 weeks old. I am getting my first day olds this weekend. Is there any advice you could give me, that isn't already in the learning centre?

Not only am I getting new chicks this weekend (breeder), My cochin hen, Janet, started setting on Saturday. She is a broody monster sitting on 11 eggs total now (took away two this morning, as they were cold and not under her). She is laying on mixes. I will likely use them for meat (roos) and eggs (hens) if I don't sell them. Under her are 2 silkie eggs, 3 cochin/barred rock mixes, 2 BO/BR mixes, and 4 pure BR eggs.

The chicks I'm getting this weekend are Easter Eggers (4), Frizzles (3+ however many more he can hatch out), and Mottled Houdan (4).

I have rubber-maid bins for now. How quick will they grow out of that?

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    They'll grow out of it more quickly than you can imagine. I have five babies in a dog exercise pen in my living room right now. The silkies are so small that they can get through the slats in the wire, so I've wrapped screen material around it. The best advice I can give you is to keep them warm enough, and watch for pasty butt. Oh yeah and POST PICTURES! Enjoy your babies!

3. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Take lots of pictures and do it often. They will only be baby chicks for a few days. It is amazing how fast they grow.

I am impatiently waiting for Apr 6 when I get this years chicks.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It's been the longest week of life! I feel like pulling my hair out lol. I am driving nearly 3 hours to get them on Saturday :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by