getting chicks to eat alfalfa hahahahaha

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by caspernc, Mar 13, 2011.

1. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    Does a chicks palet change or are they like people and like what they like and it may change some but....... I have heard about chickens that eat alfalfa and other dark green veggies had better eggs. Well my chicks are on the fence about clover or grass even. They will choke some down but really they love chick starter and boiled eggs with oatmeal, plain oat meal, really have to work on it cooked with raisins (surprised ME). They like cooked rice, but greens really are NOT on things that make them go YUM list. Will that change with age? They really try anything that I give them but if they don't like (banans are on the DO NOT like list.) they (all 31) run to my shoes and start pecking. Pretty funny. Then I Have to go get them what they want. I do go easy on the treats at this age, 5 weeks. They eat maily chick starter. I can't wait for their first cricket!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    bump? anyone?

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Chickens will eat some vegetation.

They prefer fresh growing plants, but will eat some hay at times.

I don't think they eat enough to justify buying hay to use as feed

4. riane'smimi

riane'smimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    orange va
    I buy alphlfa pellets and soak them in warm water,then mix in the layer .They will eat it then but not unless I soak it first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by