Getting chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lfoose, Feb 20, 2008.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    I need some convincing.

I'd like to get a few more chickens and thought chicks from Meyer may be the best way to go. But I am a bit nervous about it all. I want to do it right and not lose any.

How long will they need to stay in the house?

At what temps?

When can they be introduced to the rest of the flock of 15 Banties and Standards?

I have cats that get along w/my house hen. Will they get along with the chicks?

Will they die on me?

thanks!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I personally wouldn't get chicks shipped til the weather warms up more...It can and is stressful on day olds...you can lose the whole order if they chill....They need to be kept in a brooder box with a heatlamp at 95 degrees under the lamp and a big enough space to get away from the heat if they need to, 5 degrees less each week til they fully feather out at 8 to 10 weeks old...then if you put them outside in a brooder they still need their heatlamp in this weather....I don't introduce my chicks to the older flock til they are about the same size, this is so they can fend for themselves and get away from the older birds if needed...

I would keep a screen secured on the top of my brooder box so the housecat can not feast on a baby chick....

Some chicks die for unknown reasons....

3. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Thank you! Meyer is only about 1/2 hr away so I was thinking of driving down there to get them

4. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I was just going to mention that! Lucky you, living so close. [​IMG]

Don't worry too much. I was a wreck when I first contemplated getting day olds, but I find myself getting more and more sure of myself. You'll do great! Sorry, can't answer too many of your questions really.

They stay in the house until they are feathered out, about 6-8 weeks maybe? Maybe less? If you have space in your coop for a brooder/heat lamp, they'd probably be fine out there after a few weeks.

Temps are approx. 95 the first week, then decreased by 5 degrees each week till they are feathered out.

Good luck and have fun! [​IMG]

5. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

6. lfoose

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Thanks!

We have one hen that is broody and my husband told me to let her go and see what happens. I said no, I can't. I can't deal with one dying right now.

Yes, I know, I am a weak girl! But I'd feel sooo guilty. Heck, the other day I started to cry becuase I was worried when the temps dropped to 0 and my head roo wasn't in the exact spot he is ALWAYS in. I thought for sure he was going to die!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by