Getting Close - Brooder Question

sbw82

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2015
I have 5 Coturnix in my incubator on day 11. I candled on day 8 but have never done it before so I'm not sure if we have good eggs or not, although 2 or 3 did look a little darker inside. Anyway, had anyone ever used an aquarium as a brooder? I have a big plastic tote I can use but this aquarium is ready to go. I have a heat lamp, but what size bulb should I start with? I am in eastern NC and the temp for the next week or so will be in the 60's during the day. The brooder will be placed on the screened porch unless my 9 year old convinces his mother that he can keep them in his room!

It's a 10 gallon aquarium. One concern is that if it gets too warm in there the birds won't have much space to get away from the heat. BUT, there won't be any more than 5 in there at the most.

Too much heat is a much bigger concern than too cool. Make sure you go with a 75 or lower wattage and keep it elevated at one end. Then judge their comfort level by how close or far away they are from it. If they crowd the other end, raise it some more.
After a few days, you can wrap it with aluminum foil so they can have a day/night period.
Since it will be on a screened porch, be careful of nighttime temps. You could wrap some cardboard around the aquarium for at night. Glass is a good conductor so if the air gets cold, the glass will get cold.

Back
Top Bottom