Getting closer! Squatting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fayetteguy, Sep 10, 2016.

1. fayetteguy

fayetteguy New Egg

May 19, 2016
    I picked up my ladies back in May, and they have been happy birds since then. FINALLY one of my production reds is showing some signs. Out of 2 reds and 3 cuckoo's only one red is really showing, her comb and wattles have really grown over the past few weeks and are a pretty red color, she started really being chatty lately. She has always been the friendliest since we got her at 8 weeks and tonight i went out to add feed and say hello and as im trying to crawl under the coop i have a chicken in my way that i keep nudging but wont move......then i finally look and its her! shoulders spread out and squatting! YAY! so i know we are getting closer. Im trying my best not to be over anxious but its impossible. I never thought chickens would be so much fun and have so much personality, its great great for my family, especially the kids. Now we will await that first egg! Just wanted to share the excitement and will add a picture when she finally lays.

I will add that I knew nothing about breeds, we only got different ones because my daughter thought they were pretty. The cuckoo's look almost twice the size of the reds. One cuckoo has pretty good comb and wattle growth lately and it is getting very red. The comb and wattle of the red is much bigger. The one cuckoo has been squaking a lot lately so maybe shes heading in the right direction :)

1 person likes this.
  2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    You should be expecting e egg either in less then or week or in a week.

3. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Congrats!

4. fayetteguy

fayetteguy New Egg

May 19, 2016
    looking better! someone decided to root around in the nest box today and make a nice and cozy looking nest. I have fake eggs in there and its still in the middle, should i move it or leave it there?

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You can leave it there.....I keep fake eggs in a few of the nests all the time.

Curious as to why you were crawling under the coop?

6. fayetteguy

fayetteguy New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Well today was the day! we have an egg! a perfect slightly small brown egg!

I was crawling under the coop because i hang their feed and water there and im tall :) my wife just bends over, lol. I should have built my coop a smidge taller :)

1 person likes this.
  7. fayetteguy

fayetteguy New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Well day 2 and another egg! Im trying to be excited in case it stops this winter, we tend to have mild winters in south GA so hopefully they will keep laying some. Out of my 5 that should lay, all roughly the same age only 1 hen, a production red, is laying but thats ok!

I want to thank this forum for providing so much reading material to prepare for this moment :) Ill have to add pictures of my coop and ladies now that they are older.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Often pullets(not called hens until one year of age) will lay right thru their first winter, especially high production birds.
    Next fall they will molt, when they won't lay while growing new feathers, and may take a break from laying thru most the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by