Getting closer to being finished! New Picture Added

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sam The Yam, May 9, 2009.

1. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    I recently got some free heavy duty pallets at work and brought them home last week. It is really good lumber and I am excited for my new coop. We started last Saturday and took the boards apart. Some were harder than others but we was able to salvage some great lumber.

Today I was anxious to start building. Last Saturday we had made the top and bottom frame and this Saturday I was able to put the corners boards in and attach it all. I put in a roost. Note that the roost is removable for cleaning. I still need to install a door.
    I also will have to panels of the roofed hinged so that I can prop them open similar to a car hood so that I can stand up in for cleaning. The nest boxes will be on the far end with back door access. After I have brushed on a wood sealant I will paint it., after that I will install the wire and the roof.

It will resemble a small barn. Any suggestions from you on what color?

More pictures to come as I get more ready.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    You could paint it red with white trim if it's going to look like a mini barn! [​IMG]

3. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I like the start. Please keep us posted with pics! I was going for the rustic look and used a red and white theme on my coop as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gotpoodle

gotpoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Mass
    What color is your house? I'm all about matching, so I'd paint the coop to match the surrounding buildings.
    'Hello, my name is Sue and I'm an HGTV addict'... [​IMG]

5. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    It continues to take shape. Tonight, a friend and I was able to get the roof structure on:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    The "Practically Primed Pallet Palace for Poultry Project" progress report. Today I was able to get most of my coop primed (use one gallon). Fortunately I have access to free primer and paint from my work so the cost of this project is still very inexpensive. I am able to recycle and it's coming along quite well.

[​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Little by little... you're gonna have a coop!

8. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Quote:Thanks Mahonri. It's a little bit here and a little bit there, just need more hours in the day, but I am please so far with what I have been able to do. I have the nest box structure pretty well done, just have to add some more boards and secure it all up. The nest boxes will fit on one end and it will have outside access to get the eggs.

9. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    I found this cabinet at work that used to be in our offices before they remodeled. It was just laying out in the warehouse doing nothing so I asked if I could have it. It will be perfect for my nest boxes, and it attach to the outside of the coop leaving me more valuable chicken foot space inside the coop:

[​IMG]

I also obtained this door from a relative and had the idea to cut an egg shaped hole in it and then I will cover that with wire and hang it up. Hope to inspire the hens to be very productive!

[​IMG]

10. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    Sweet coop i like the stuff you used for it you should make the run out of skids that is what i am doing with my skids.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by