1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

getting closer! what to be prepared for.. :\

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shmooborp, May 17, 2008.

1. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

ok so today is day 17!!! yaaahoooo!!! this is my first time hatch.! they all are developed and looking good! but i have some questions that i want definate clarification on. so here it goes.

i put the egg in the bator on may 1st in the morning... so this would be day 17 right?
    do i stop turning on day 18 or is my last turn on day 18?
    the humidity should be upper 50s after day 18.. or starting day 18?
    but- when my humidity gets up to lie 49 or higher.... slight condonsation gathers around the corner of the window.
    hatch in the carton or not?
    put rubber mating down?

im sorry for all of the questions... and if they are confusing... they confuse me to! lol
    i hope someone can help me [​IMG] -shmoo

2. shmooborp

no one knows?

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    1. Yes, if you put the eggs in the bator before noon, on May 1st, then this is day 17.

2. The way that I do the turning, is I turn days 1-18. After I turn on the 18th night, I add water to make the humidity increase.

3. When you add the water on the night of the 18th day, last time turning, then your humidity will go up. The humidity for days 18-21 should be 60-70%. My windows condensate also. That is due to the increase in the humidity.

4. Whether to use the carton or not is your choice. Some say that it does help whenever the chick starts to pip. It keeps the eggs from rolling around. If you do use the carton, then cut the top off of the carton and cut a small hole in each egg holder. I have used the carton only once now, but I layed the eggs across the hole in the carton, not straight down in the carton.

5. I have never used the rubber matting, but some say that it helps the chicks get a grip and less likely to get spraddle leg. Also said that it is much easier on cleanup. Just toss the mat.

I hope that this info. helps.

Dorothy

4. shmooborp

thank you soo much! i was worried abut the condensation thing cuz someone said that if you see taht it means the humidity is to hi. i think im gonna use the carton to hatch.. and rubber matting for clean up. [​IMG] im very nervous and i hope that i get a god hatch rate.. once they hatch when should i take them out of the bator?

5. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I'm on day 17 too - I put my eggs in the evening of April 30 -

so I figured I'd shut the turner off tomorrow and take them out in the early afternoon so I can make sure the temps are ready before bed.

Good luck!

Louella

6. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    shmoo You should not take the babies out of the bator to move them to the brooder until they are dry. You will want to do this as quickly as possible. The more you open the bator, then the more humidity that you lose and the remaining eggs will need that humidity to finish hatching.

Dorothy

7. shmooborp

ok cool thanks! i will sit on my hands... lol [​IMG] i sure hope they hatch [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. babyboy1_mom

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    [​IMG] Good luck. I'm sending you some good vibes. [​IMG]

Dorothy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by