Getting cocky

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brok3n, Jul 29, 2013.

1. brok3n

brok3n In the Brooder

May 28, 2013
    West Virginia
    So my rooster has been acting different. Giving me the eye and kind of dancing sideways at me.

Should I be expecting an attack? Yesterday I was holding and petting one of the girls and he didn't seem to like it much.

He is 4 months old and a big boy. IF he does get cocky....what's the best thing to do. Kick him across the coop?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    You might want to do a BYC search for "aggressive roosters" That'll give you lots of ideas to handle this big boy. How does he treat his girls? You want to establish dominance over him. I wouldn't allow him to dance in my general direction! At that point, you might want to chase him away. I've found it fairly effective to grab the bully by the scruff of the neck and hold his head down until he ceases to struggle. Do it as often as needed. Other BYC folks recommend using the "finger jab" technique - pecking him repeatedly, and hard with your finger until he backs off. I'd reserve the kick for a last resort. The last thing you want to do is let him make you run! Be sure you're dressed well when you enter his space: long pants, covered feet, gloves... keep your eyes/face out of his range. Also, he needs to know that he is submissive to you in regards to his girls. He should allow you to handle the girls without flying into a rage... that being said, you should realize that that may set him off, and be prepared. Perhaps isolate him if you need to do some serious pullet handling.

3. brok3n

brok3n In the Brooder

May 28, 2013
    West Virginia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. brok3n

brok3n In the Brooder

May 28, 2013
    West Virginia
    [​IMG]

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I hope you kept more than one cockrel in case this boy doesn't see the light. The threads about aggressive roosters are very helpful, but some boys just need to be invited to dinner! I've had both nice polite cocks, and boys that only get worse every month, in spite of everything. Not good genes to pass on, and a danger to every person that they meet. Definitely nor safe if children are involved, and no fun for adults, either. Good luck, Mary

6. brok3n

brok3n In the Brooder

May 28, 2013
    West Virginia
    Yeah only the one rooster. I won't put up with it if he does get aggressive. Today no problems from him at all. We'll see I guess....first times on me....second time he's done.

7. John plumb

John plumb Hatching

May 11, 2013
    Delaware
    I find that if I let my rooster do his man thing first then go into the run he seems to be ok. still he'll keep his eye on me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: