getting companions for a lone chick - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by butterfieldcoop, Sep 19, 2012.

1. butterfieldcoop

butterfieldcoop New Egg

Sep 19, 2012
    Huntington, NY
    Due to a predator attack, our flock of 4 7-week-olds is down to one lone black australorp pullet.

She wants company - and we want to provide it. We found some craigslist ads - and can drive 2+ hours to get some pullets very close in age.

Questions:
    1. Do you think it is best to get 1 more pullet or 2 more pullets?
    - we don't want 3 more - since our coop isn't really big enough for 4

2. We are worried that if we get 2 more pullets from the same source - that the 2 of them will gang up on the australorp. Does anyone know if this is true?

3. Do you think it matters what breed we get?
    - we had a barred-rock, an easter-egger and a buff-laced-polish. The 4 of them seemed to get along great.
    - available (based on CL ads are: red-comets, australorps, barred rocks, Buff Orpingtons, RIR, New Hampshire Reds, Gold Laced and Silver Laced Wyandottes, and Light Brahmas
    What breed would be a good fit for my surviving australorp... and also be good with my little kids....?

Thanks in advance!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd go with Australorps, Orpingtons or Light Brahmas. All calm chickens in my opinion. If you get two more from the same source, I'd make certain they are younger than your survivor.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  3. butterfieldcoop

butterfieldcoop New Egg

Sep 19, 2012
    Huntington, NY
    Quote:
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hmmm... Okay... do you think 5-10 days older matters? Would getting 1 instead of 2 solve the problem? Would getting 2 from different sources solve the problem?[/FONT]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  4. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I introduced one pullet to another pullet for a total of two in the hen house.
    They were fast friends and all is still well.
    I highly recommend Orpingtons, they are great with my daughter.
    I made a page regarding introducing and the link is in my signature line.
    Good luck~!

5. butterfieldcoop

butterfieldcoop New Egg

Sep 19, 2012
    Huntington, NY
    For a variety of reasons, we ended up introducing our Australorp survivor to a (slightly) younger EE/Araucana type pullet. They were friends within a couple of hours and have been doing great since. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by