Getting confused on when and if to change feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NewToFarming, Aug 9, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Ok, I believe I am at the point I will soon need layer feed? This is where I am getting confused. I have 9 week old chicks that are getting the chick feed and will soon be changed over to grower finisher ( I think I have that right) I also have 4 month old silkies & 3 & 4 months Orp's. I have the older ones on grower/finisher. Will I need to change them to layer feed? If so, when should I start doing that? I currently put out the grower/finisher and I also have a separate bowel of oyster shell available to them but it only seems like the buffs are eating it right now and not much of it. Do I need to supplement them with the oyster shell if they are on layer? I am just starting to get myself all confused of when & what to feed them now.

Thanks!

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Here is what I do:
    Until about 8 weeks I feed medicated chick start or starter/grower
    8 weeks to laying I feed grower
    Once they start laying I feed layer pellets/crumble and I do leave oyster shell in the coop at all times.
    Hope this answers your question.

3. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Yes it sure does!!!!!!!! Thank you! [​IMG]

Oops! I forgot about the roos! What do you feed older Roos?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If your roos are with the flock, they will eat whatever everyone else eats.
    If they are separated, I would just feed them Flock Raiser.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I feed everybody in my flock Purina Flock Raiser from the time they are chicks until the make chicks!

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm feeding everybody Flock Raiser and offer oyster shell in another container for those who need it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by