Getting cracked eggs from BR

kturnquist

Chirping
Jan 27, 2019
Loomis, CA
My BR laid her first egg yesterday and the top was cracked. Today it happened again. Is she pecking them? No other hens are laying cracked eggs and they all lay in the coop or under the coop in their chicken craters.

Attachments

• IMG_20190423_122742.jpg
    IMG_20190423_122742.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 13
My BR laid her first egg yesterday and the top was cracked. Today it happened again. Is she pecking them? No other hens are laying cracked eggs and they all lay in the coop or under the coop in their chicken craters.

With the way it’s pushed in I would guess somebody either pecked it or possibly stepped on it while looking for a spot to lay their own egg. :confused:

Looks pecked to me.

If I had an unidentified hen pecking eggs in my nest boxes I'd probably throw some ceramic eggs in with the real ones (the ones you get at TSC to encourage nesting) to trick and deter her.

I would take a guess and someone is pecking them/exploring what "that" is.
I would try to get to the eggs as soon as they are laid and see if that problems stop.
I thought I had got there quick yesterday as I ran out as soon as I heard an egg song but it was cracked anyway. Today I wasn't home so I couldn't get out there as quick but it doesn't seem to matter.

Looks pecked to me.

If I had an unidentified hen pecking eggs in my nest boxes I'd probably throw some ceramic eggs in with the real ones (the ones you get at TSC to encourage nesting) to trick and deter her.
I've thought about buying these as no one seems to be laying in the nesting boxes, but I wanted to wait and see if they got it without them. But a two for one purpose seems like I should just go ahead and get them.

Looks like an impact crack to me.
Shell could be thin there and is landing on part of the nest or another egg when it drops.

Back
Top Bottom