Getting Ducks and Guineas to Live Together..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Darkjeweler, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Darkjeweler

Darkjeweler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    I am new to raising fowl. Currently I have 8 Ducks (4 Appleyard and 4 Runners) and 10 Guineas. For the first couple weeks of their lives, they were kept together in the same cage and had no issues. After a couple of weeks, the guineas were moved into their own structure outside and the ducks remained in the house. A few weeks ago, I moved the ducks out onto the back porch while I am in the process of building an chincken-wire enclosed 25'x25' structure. Anyway, yesterday, the guineas decided to visit the porch for the first time. Well, it was like a Mexican Standoff. Any guinea that came down to the same level as the ducks was immediately charged by the ducks till they flew away. (surprisingly, it was the small runner ducks doing the charging). Now, the plan is to have all the birds living together in the 25'x25' structure, however, I am wondering how to get the two species to live together in relative harmony? Is it just a case that they are going to have to get uses to each other being around slowly? The guineas do have their own 8x4x4 "coop" which they are kept in most days unless I am home to let them free-range.. However, I want to let them out more often and I don't want the bird sanctuary to turn into a bird arena (unless I can charge admission.. lol)

Funny thing is the runner ducks are little sweethearts. I can pick them up and hold them with no problems. I would not have expected them to be quite so agressive. On the other hand, the appleyards are larger and less personable.

Regards,

Mike-

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Your enclosure is plenty large enough for them to stay out of one another's way. They will resolve their differences. It may become interesting in the spring when both species are actively breeding. Both drakes and male guineas get a little nutty when the testosterone levels are high. Have a 'plan B' in case all heck breaks loose.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  3. Darkjeweler

Darkjeweler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    Plan "B" is kicking the guneas out into the yard and keeping them shut in the 8x4x4 coop at night. Once I get the roof on the 25x25, i will be adding perching places about 6' off the ground. The guineas will probably like it up there. Also, shortly, I will be inheriting about 10 chickens from a neighbors friend that is over-run with chickens. I suppose she has never thought of making dinner out of them. Very soon I will probably have more eggs than I will know what to do with as the birds come of age. I think the oldest birds (4 of the guineas) are about 4 months now.

Mike-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by