Getting Ducks from Auction

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ducksinarow, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Has anyone bought ducks from an animal auction? Was your experience good or bad? How much do adult ducks usually run? I want to get a few more girls for my boys and they have an animal auction about a couple hours away. Owner told me they sold 175 ducks at the last auction. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    I have never bought ducks at an auction but I have bought other livestock. Call them and make sure that each grouping is housed separately (different stall/cage/or other containment) as to avoid mixing up birds or cross contaminating between owners as much as possible. The ones that don't tend to use a bait and switch method from what I have seen (you bid and pay for one you like and they give you a sick one). Also, make sure that you are either able to inspect the birds yourself or they have a letter of health from a vet. If you have any now at your place you will want to quarantine the new ones for safety. Either way you want to check their health as soon as you get them and address any problems. Good luck and happy bidding!

3. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Thanks for the response, I never thought about them switching birds, wow. I will find out if they are kept separate. Good information to know.

4. StruckBy

StruckBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Marcola, OR
    I've bought birds at auction & had good luck with it. The ones I've been to the birds were put in numbered cages & you bid on a particular cage. No chance for them to switch around (though I had that happen with weaner pigs to me once and was ******). It's not a bad idea to quarantine new birds no matter where you get them (do as I say not as I do...I usually only do that with rescue birds that are in tough shape). My biggest tip...decide how much your max is before the bidding starts. Auction fever is dangerous for some of us which is why I'm not allowed to go anymore! :p. Prices are all over the place & depend on your area and the given week. The nastier the weather usually the better deals you'll get in my experience. Also end of the season when the people who bought cute babies in the spring but are sick of the work & the serious breeders/producers are culling down the birds they don't want to feed through the winter.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by