Getting Eaten Alive! HELP! (Grapic pics. coming)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leah and peeps, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hi everyone,

I am so stressed! Yesterday i went inside the coop, and notcied that some of the feathers near one of my BSL vent were missing. I went closer and picked her up, and saw that she was getting eaten by my other chickens! The blood was dried up, but it was a HUGE hole in her!! [​IMG] I am discusted! [​IMG] The poor girl, i don't know what to do, as this is my first time raising chickens. What is the first thing i should do? Also the other BSL that i have is starting to bare blood on her back [​IMG] (But i think that she might be doing it herself, but can't be certain) And the one with bleeding ont he back, is not from a roo, as we dont have one. Also, I dont think that this would be from over crowding becuase each bird has 9 SF of space. (we started with 10 birds and are now down to 7) I will try and get pics tonight! Will she live?
    Funny thing is that its only the BSL that are having troubles, all the rest seem fine [​IMG] (chantecler, RSl)
    Please help me! [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    I don't know very much either as I'm knew too but DEFinetely get her and the other one isolated
    [​IMG] Poor girl...they'll just continue to pick at her if they see blood [​IMG]

3. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Isolate, and get some Blu-kote. Are they getting enough protein?

4. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks everyone for your replys! I will seperate these two ASAP. I just dont know where i will put them [​IMG] As they are in one coop. Maybe i can put on of them in a plastic container brooder with a hardware cloth cover and keep it in the garage? I just dont know if that woulf be enough space for her? Any other ideas? Would she be okay in an unheated garage? Or would she freeze? [​IMG] i'm going to get pics. Tonight.
    ETA: can i also bring them some canned tuna incase they are lacking protien.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    do you have a dog crate you could put her in and that way she gets to stay in the coop with the others, better for her too. even if they are picking on her, she wants to be near them. you could put food and water in the crate(beware, they will find away to dump over the water dish), but she must be separted from the others until she is completely healed, not just to scab level, because they will pick at the scabs too, they could kill her in a day. You may have to put something like pinless peepers on the bullies, look these up in the search engine, they stop them from being able to peck at each other. also, give them things to do, they get bored in the winter, a bail of hay for them to kick around, whole head of cabbage, cauliflower ect.. to peck at all day and you can try to remove the bully for a few days to see if you can change the pecking order in the flock, but this happens after she is all better. keep the wound clean, put antibiotic cream on it without pain relievers in it and keep her separated from the others and she should do fine. But once you get them all back together I would keep an eye on them foe a few days to make sure it does not happen again. good luck

6. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Thank you for your help! I don't have an extra crate, but i will keep her in the brooder IN the coop until she is healed. I have no animal medication on me. I am going to get pics now and will post them soon. Thanks again!

7. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    you can use people antibiotic cream if you have any, just without the pain reliever. also give her some electrolyte solution in her water to give her a boost in strenght

8. Leah and peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Pics just taken- brace yourselves..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eating on the boxes
    [​IMG]

The other BSL, as you can see, she is not nearly as bad as the other, but still bled.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The poor girl [​IMG] I was unable to seperate her tonight, due to certain circumstances but will make sure that it is done tom. no excuses! The wound does not seem to be any worse then yesterday, and she is protecting herslef by staying in one of the nesting boxes. I gave her some cabbage and tuna. She devored the tuna, along with the others (but she stayed on top of the boxes to eat it, while the others ate on the floor) I threw in half a head of cabbage to keep them busy, though they didn't seem to go straight at it, only a few pecks..
    What is the cayanne pepper method? Has anyone ever used it?
    The other BSL is doing OK but still has some dried up blood on her.
    I feel terrible that i didn't catch this sooner! [​IMG]

9. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    OMWord! Poor thing!! Definetly get her seperated asap, the other one too or they'll just continue to peck at the spots and open them up...i dont even know where to begin with that wound...other than protein for healing purposes, antibiotic for infection and a good gentle cleaning with betadine maybe too? [​IMG] That makes me so sad for her...that has to HURT! You noticed it though...that's the good thing! Hope she does alright...

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think it will be okay...
    Just seperate her now from the others... but make sure she gets time outside too, if you can.
    I'd squirt that wound in betadine and water mixture daily.(make it the color of weak tea..)... then after that(daily), put some triple antibiotic cream on her..
    And wrap it with gauze and vet wrap, if needed.

Do you have any hen saddles? I'd put one on that other picked hen..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by