Getting electric fence ground rod out?

Viper44m

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 23, 2009
To protect our chickens (tons of raccoons and possums) we installed a Premier1 poultry electric netting. Everything is working great and the chickens are happy little campers.
I chose this type of fencing so we could move the chickens often. The only problem is trying to get the ground rod (it's 4 ft) out of the ground. It took me a hour to get the thing out and that was with the help of a shovel !
How in the world do people who move their chickens daily deal with the ground rod? My back and arms sure would appreciate any help! :eek:)

4 the Birds

Songster
9 Years
Oct 15, 2010
Westfield, Indiana
To protect our chickens (tons of raccoons and possums) we installed a Premier1 poultry electric netting. Everything is working great and the chickens are happy little campers. I chose this type of fencing so we could move the chickens often. The only problem is trying to get the ground rod (it's 4 ft) out of the ground. It took me a hour to get the thing out and that was with the help of a shovel ! How in the world do people who move their chickens daily deal with the ground rod? My back and arms sure would appreciate any help! :eek:)
Multiple ground rods! They are cheap and you can have a few in different locations set below grade with a scrap wood block location cover. A ladder and a come-a-long will pull the rod out of the ground if you are intent of moving it often. Hope this helps!

Viper44m

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 23, 2009
Multiple ground rods is a brilliant idea!! Thank you for the tip.
Now... back to Ace Hardware to get more rods. :eek:)

chfite

Songster
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Taylors, SC
Catch the top of the ground rod with a pair of vise grips and turn it to break it free of the soil. Twist it back and forth as you pull it out. Soak the soil around the rod with water the day before you plan to remove it. Use a bottle of water to soften the soil as you drive it into the ground to have an easy way of installing it.

Chris

blucoondawg

Songster
6 Years
Jan 27, 2013
Northern Wisconsin
The best is multiple rods but if you must pull one I have had luck with 18-24 inch pipe wrenches, twisting back and forth as I pull and the wrench acts as a handle to help in pulling.

Ridgerunner

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
I haven’t pulled any ground rods with this, but I’ve used a lever and fulcrum to get some things out. Tie or chain the end of a strong pole or long rod to what you want to pull out. Put something right next to that for your fulcrum so you have what looks like an offset see-saw. Then apply your weight to the other end of that pole or rod. Try real hard to get your direction of pull lined up with the angle it went into the ground.

Top Bottom