Getting fertile duck eggs tonight for my broody hen!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dehave, Apr 30, 2008.

1. dehave

dehave Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2008
    I am very nervous. I am picking up some duck eggs tonight. Last night I moved Bella (broody) to a clean medium cat carrier with fresh straw. I also moved her 3 unfertile eggs and her golf ball. This morning she was back in her nesting box. Can I still give her the eggs? Do I need to try to move her again tonight, then try to set the eggs tomorrow night?

I need help. These duck eggs are someone elses and they would like the ducklings back when hatched. It's too much pressure!!! Just kidding, but I do want to do it right.

Thanks,
    Dana

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Just keep her in her nesting box, it is where she feels comfortable. Put the eggs in her nesting box and let her hatch them there.

3. dehave

Apr 27, 2008
    While I was writing that earlier post she got out of her nest and was just walking around. I don't know for how long. After about a half hour I went down, took the eggs and 1 golf ball that were in the carrier on the floor, and put them back in her nest. I picked her back up and put her back in her nest. She fluffed up, scooted the eggs all back underneath her and looked at me like I was crazy. Do you think she'll stay? If I let her stay up there, then what do I do when they start hatching? Just cross that bridge when I come to it? THANKS!

4. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Dehave I have to kick my hens off the nest when they are broody at least once a day so they will go eat and get something to drink.I have 17 eggs under 5 hen right now and they are to start hatching out on the 6th of May.

Mindy

5. dehave

Apr 27, 2008
    I got the duck eggs yesterday. Runners! My favorite. But I won't be keeping them, we are just fostering. When it was dark last night, I went and took the infertile eggs she was sitting on and switched them. She was none to pleased, but when I put the new eggs under her, she settled down.

One of the other ladies keeps tricking me. In the morning when I get up, she is in the nest with broody. She acts all broody, but then later she is down running around normally. She has put several feathers in the nest, but she is also laying eggs there (which we remove). Are these signs she might go broody?

I don't think I spent as much time reading message boards when I was pregnant! This is how it starts huh? The addiction, I mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by