Getting first chicks next week

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AllyPerk143, Feb 21, 2014.

1. AllyPerk143

AllyPerk143 New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    I've never had chickens and my husband has finally agreed to let me have 2 chicks, as allowed by law where I live. I am going to make the brooder this weekend and had some questions.

I'm planning on using a plastic bin, and I have read many different options for what to put down. Sand, shavings with paper towel on top, what would be best?
    Does the heat lamp stay on all the time?

2. calebc311

calebc311 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    East Bay California
    I'm almost 3 weeks into raising my 2 chicks!
    A plastic bin should suffice, I'm using a cardboard box. As long as there's room for them to move around. We even put a tree branch in there for them to perch on. We use pine shavings for bedding, but the minor problem with this is the chicks may habitually eat the pine shavings. Although my chicks stopped picking the pine shavings a couple days ago, I never felt comfortable about them eating it. Sand shavings should work, but they may consume the sand as well. For me, pine shavings worked relatively well but I'm sure there are better options. And yes, the heat lamp has to always stay on. Around 90 degrees F for the first week and raise the lamp or lower the brooder to gradually decrease the temperature. There are a lot of articles on how to manage heat lamps in the forum section and learning center.

Good luck with your 2 chicks! :D

3. PimentoPlymouth

PimentoPlymouth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    I always used pine shavings with my chicks due to the fact that they absorb spilled water pretty good and are easy to clean up and help keep the smell down. As far as the heat lamp yes keep it on all the time at first. You want it to be around 90-95 degrees the first week. Keep an eye on the chicks as they will let you know if its to hot or to cold. If its to cold they will be huddled together under the lamp alot. If its to hot you will see them spread out over the brooder and seem to be panting. If they are playing and moving around well then the temp is fine. After the first week you want to raise the heat lamp higher and drop the temp about 5 degrees until you can remove it and they are fully feathered about 6 weeks.

4. AllyPerk143

AllyPerk143 New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    Awesome thank you! I am considering getting a black Australope and a barred rock because I want eggs and personality. Are these typically noisy and would raising them together be an issue?

5. PimentoPlymouth

PimentoPlymouth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Raising them together would not be a problem. As far as the noise it shouldn't be to bad but some chicks are noisier than others. I have both of those breeds and they usually aren't to noisy until they lay an egg and then the do their little egg song, Good luck and congrats on the new additions.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Yes the heat lamp stays on all the time [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can raise many different animals together [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by