Getting first shipped quail eggs this week!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Attack Chicken, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    So excited! My bator has been out of order for atleast a year or more now bleh! Thankfully a friend of mine wanted me to hatch some quail for her. Being that it has been cold here most of my quail eggs are frozen and cracked before I even get them. Pmed a few people about them and finally the wonderfull JJMR794 on here sold me 2 dozen eggs various colors! [​IMG] I can't wait! [​IMG]h Hopefully this cold don't affect them when being shipped here.

Thanks so much JJMR794!
    AC

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Good luck,there always fun to hatch!

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    You have you some good eggs to set. That's for sure.

Good luck on your hatch!

4. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Good luck with your hatch. I have a couple of Jeff's birds and they are big and beautiful. Great stock for you to begin with.

5. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Most of these are for my friend that is getting into quail. I just love the birds I have and very cold hardy! Just hard to get dang unfrozen eggs in the winter.

Bators is running on one thermometer exactly 100 and another is reading 104 so not sure which one to believe. Just put another one in so we shall see what that reads.

Which is better on hatching quail? On my batch a year ago I used water and some people say not to use water until the last 4 days. What do you do?

Thanks
    AC

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    QUAIL AND MOST GAMEBIRDS ARE SUPER HUMIDITY SENSITIVE... I DONT RECOMMEND DRY INCUBATION AS IT USUALLY HAS VERY UNSAVORY RESULTS EVEN HERE IN THE HUMIDITY CAPITOL OF OUR COUNTRY. 45-55% INCUBATION 65%+ LOCKDOWN AND HATCH--- JUST MY WAY THO.. [​IMG]

7. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:X2 here as well. I know reliable people that say 45-55% humidity is fine for game bird hatches, but a bump doesn't seam to hurt anything. I'm just paranoid about bumping up the humidity for the hatch, but that's just me too.

8. rjs55555

rjs55555 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Latrobe, PA
    Here is a study on humidity and hatchability rate for Coturnix quail. Interesting read.

http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd21/3/roma21038.htm

I would love thoughts on this because I consider people here to have more expertise than the scientists could ever have.

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:I use a oral medical thermometer to double check temp. yes it only read the high temp. but to high can kill the whole batch.

10. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    WEll they should be here tomorrow according to the tracking number [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have 4 thermometers in the incubator 2 kinds, 1 aquarium one (BYCer told me o try it), and the one that came with the incubator that I've used before.
    Results:
    1 of the crap kind is reading around 104
    other crap kind is reading anywhere from 99-100
    aquarium 1 is reading 99-100
    and the incubator one is reading 99-100

So I'm going with what the 3 say and pitching the 104 one.
    I'll have to go try one of the oral ones.

Getting my battery therm/humidity one today so I shall see what it read! lol

For being a LG incubator it's pretty spot on temps.. To bad it isn't circulated air.

Thanks
    AC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by