Getting four chicks on Friday... Question regarding heat lamp!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Maegan Moaratty, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Maegan Moaratty

Maegan Moaratty In the Brooder

Jan 16, 2019
    Hi All,

I'm getting four 1-day-old chicks on Friday so I'm prepping their living quarters today and tomorrow. I've been reading about the dangers of heat lamps and came across the 'Brinsea EcoGlow Brooder for Chicks or Ducklings' on Amazon. Is this a better alternative to the heat lamp? Any chick housing suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Maegan

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Most people on this site who have used artificial broodies swear by them and never go back. They're pretty fire-safe and they supposedly allow the chicks to adjust to cool temperatures much more quickly, because the chicks spend longer and longer periods away from the heat, instead of always being in the same controlled temperature.

I have never used one and like heat lamps; just be very careful to secure them properly and they're safe. Those grips on the lamp are not always sufficient; hang the lamp by a chain or a rope and the whole setup will be much safer.

puffypoo likes this.
  3. Maegan Moaratty

Jan 16, 2019
    Thank you so much for the information! I'm at work during the day, four days a week, and would hate for anything to happen while I'm away and I've read enough horror stories with the heat lamps to consider a safer option. I just ended up ordering it— especially with being new to this, I'd hate for my inexperience to put the chicks at risk.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  4. puffypoo

puffypoo Like Machine

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I have used the EcoGlow 20 only once so far; it's worked well. I don't have to worry about safety much anymore. The only thing is (This def. won't affect you now) is that it's much too small for 20 older chicks. It only fits 20 day-old chicks, but remember that chicks grow! Plus you get better pictures of your babies when there isn't a red light on them!

5. Missbc

Missbc Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    Pacific Northwest
    I have the brinsea but I just bought the premier 1 to use with my little peepers that are arriving next month.

They’ll both work. I like the premier 1 design better (they have a cover that discourages standing on top. It’s really hard to scrape poop out of the letters imprinted in the top of the brinsea :lau). Also the premier 1 has four easily adjustable legs and the brinsea is a pita to change height.

But again, both will work fine! I felt better about leaving the chicks with the brooder plate instead of a heat lamp.

6. Maegan Moaratty

Jan 16, 2019
    Thank you for the reassurance with the brooder! It felt like a bit of a splurge given the cost and that I haven't even given a heat lamp a chance, but I'd be too stressed out worrying about worst case scenario with the lamp the whole time lol

puffypoo likes this.
  7. Maegan Moaratty

Jan 16, 2019
    That's exciting! I'm sure you're looking forward to using the new one. I'm glad to hear that the Brinsea works since it was sort of an impulse buy lol I'm very eager to become more familiar with raising them and getting more input and help from everyone on here :) Thanks again!

puffypoo likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: