Getting Free Wooden Box -- what would you do?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by happybooker1, Nov 30, 2012.

1. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    This wooden crate was listed for free on local CL and I snagged it. How would you turn it into a coop? It's about 4' x 4' x 4' and I have Banty chicks.

I'm figuring cut windows in the 2 opposite sides, get some roofing material to cover the top, hinge the top, cut a chicken 'door', etc. What would you do?
    [​IMG]

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]
    HMMMMM what to do with the crate?

OHHHHHHH the possibilities.....
    If you can get the top off in one piece you could easily lift one side to slant it before roofing goes on to help shed snow and rain. You could then add hardware cloth along the raised edge under the roof lip for vents.
    I would put it on 2 foot legs so the mice stay out and the chickens can go under. It would also make it easier to clean.
    I would hinge the end you have off for ease of cleaning.
    You have plans for windows already so that works.
    Paint it to match your home or give it a funky look if that suits your tastes better.
    Nest box off the side so you can access it easily and the floor space is not lost.
    I hung a smallish feeder on the inside of my clean out door on my small coop to help keep the floor area clear too.
    It would be pretty easy to give it a peaked roof and make it look like a cottage too.
    Great find....... I am off to search craigs list now for perhaps a find of my own....... Oh the things one can do with found items.....

3. happybooker1

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yes it was quite a find!! I already have a sturdy platform on 4x4 legs that I will use under it. Nestboxes outside = good idea!! Although I can wait a bit on those -- chickies are only 5+ weeks old. LOL!

4. I would paint it pink! [​IMG]

5. citychickx6

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

Found this coop on my local craigs list. It is very cute and says it is 4'x4'. ( Hope I do not get into trouble for using the pic.)
    Perhaps some inspiration for you.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

Yep . Definitely inspiration!

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I got one of those and I thought it would be a GREAT nesting box for my broody pea hens. Only thing is they didn't think the same thing. :/

8. happybooker1

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    Cute, cute! Unfortunately I'm not that 'handy' and I don't have an SO to help out. [​IMG]

9. citychickx6

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    What state are you in? Maybe someone can give you a hand.

The pitched roof is not that hard if you have a circular saw. To make my "mini coop" what I did was take the sheeting material I wanted to use and screwed them together temporarily. I then took a measurement for the center and made a mark. I then measured down six inches on each end and made a diagonal line to the center mark. This is the line I cut to get the angles.
    Since it is only 4x4 it wont have to hold a lot of snow weight. I only have trusses on the ends in mine.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  10. citychickx6

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    These are some pics of my mini coop that I made by myself. It is simple and cute I think. I have a couple pics of the inside if you would like them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by