Getting friends for an injured pullet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pidgey, Oct 22, 2011.

1. pidgey

pidgey Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    I got two pullets about two weeks ago, and one of them has since been killed. (Story here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=587399) The surviving one was attacked too, and the past couple days her wound has looked less gross (it's dry and scabby). My question is, how soon can I get her some friends? I can tell she's lonely, but I'm scared that if I get new pullets now they'll reinjure her. I don't want to put her back with the adults until she's big enough to peck them back. Do young chickens have the same wound pecking instinct? Do I have to get pullets the same age as her, or what age range would be good? She's about 14 weeks old right now.

I feel like a chicken abuser, putting her in solitary confinement in a dog kennel....

2. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    One thing you might do to keep her from being lonely is put her in a dog crate (I used the plastic sided ones) and set it inside the pen/coop with the other chickens. Make sure it is something that they can not peck each other thru. This way she is close to the others and will also keep them all used to each other until she has healed more or you get her some other friends.

3. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    a while ago I had a seriously injured pullet...even had to amputate 3/4 of her wing on one side...I got her an older, big fuzzy Cochin rooster to live with until she healed and could rejoin the flock...I think his quiet companionship really helped her mend and get on with things...don't know if you have access to anything like that but old roosters are easy to come by...just a thought...

4. pidgey

pidgey Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    The dog crate she's in is right outside the main coop/run area so they can hear each other, and when I let her out for exercise (an hour or so a day) she goes in a run right next to theirs so they are still being exposed to each other - is that enough contact for her to not get lonely?

duck walk, how old is old? Are they gentle because they're not hormonal anymore? Is it all old roosters, or how would I choose one?

5. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    My "older" companion rooster was around 6 mos old and just a gentle soul...you would have to pick and choose and find a quiet natured roo...

6. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    I've been having my lowest chicken in the pecking order spend a significant amount of time with my injured hen...she's too submissive to even think of pecking at her so it has worked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by