Getting geese in the spring, housing?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Ms Ellen, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    So I am getting a trio of African geese in the spring. I want to build them something like a dog house type building I think? I want them to free range but also to be able to lock them up when visitors are expected. I don't know what size building they need? Should I brood them in there so they know it is home? Also, I have about 2 1/2 ac with many many ac of woods behind but I have neighbors on one side. Not close, my side yard faces their back yard maybe 500 feet away. Do you think I can train the geese to stay mostly on my side or will I need a fence there? I am a bit worried that they will bother the neighbors, though nobody is usually out and this is the back of the back yard with a pretty good distance to the houses. Well far enough that they have Comcast but my house is too far away for comcast to run a line to, LOL. Actually part of one neighbor's side yard is really my yard too but he mows it, so I guess it could get complicated. Anyway, what size building do I need to make? What amenities? Other than locking good because we have a terrible problem with critters. Also, will the wings need to be clipped?

Forgot to mention I already have free ranging chickens but they always stay in their own yard.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    if you dont fence they will wander, and predators could get them as well.

good for a pair or trio but no more.

[​IMG]

here is one from a fellow BYC'r

[​IMG]

We added doors to this building and have three trios in it now

[​IMG]

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Is that Luna at the bottom? Gosh she's cute!!

Nice buildings, all of them.

4. Ms Ellen

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    Thank you! So what I need for a trio is about the size of a pallet? That is helpful to my non math thinking mind. Anything I need inside?

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

bedding [​IMG]

I would recommend against water in their sleeping quarters. They make a huge mess.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast

7. Ms Ellen

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    So maybe a foot and a half taller than the average dog house, looking at those pictures? Again, non math thinking. I am assuming I won't need insulation for pre insulated geese, LOL.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you want to be able to go inside to clean? if so then at least a few inches taller than you. and no insulation required.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  9. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by