Getting healthy in a sane way? suggestions, experiences, discussion

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by HeatherLynn, Nov 14, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Hey all, well I am pretty sick and tired of not feeling 100%. I tell you since I had this last baby I have struggled which anyone who has read my posts can attest to. I am sick of it. I am tired of trying to depend on doctors who have their head somewhere other than in the office. I am also tired of worrying. So as of late I have been taking things into my own hands. I have managed to kick my breakfast cereal habit, milk, caffeine, beef, and soda. ( beef and milk because it just kills me and I usually have a gall bladder attack afterwards) If I have a dairy drink its now kefir but I plan on upping that one soon by making my own. I also started drinking ACV water every day. Not very much. Nothing extreme but since I had such issues with UTI's and this seemed to help I am doing a glass or 2 a day as a preventative ( 1tsp in each HUGE glass of water)

I have been taking supplements. Probably far too many but I think I may back down now. My body was just so worn down and I was trying to fix everything. Not a good idea. Suggestions? I know I need to take my D3, b12, and passion flower. I am deficient on the first 2 and the last one helps with the anxiety.

So far I have lost 12lbs. My goal is to lose 12 more. I should lose more but I do better with small goals and I do not want to drain myself. I am losing this more or less from the changes I made and walking more. I have not really cut calories. I actually eat more than I used to. It takes alot of quality food to try to get everything your body needs from food, not pills.

What is everyone else doing? or what are changes you have made.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I was told recently that I need to get in shape. Well, lucky for me..... round IS a shape!

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

LEt me start off by saying that I LOVE to eat. If I could make a living eating, I'd be a millionare LOL. That being said, I decided I too was tired of feeling like crap all the time and figured it was from or diet. We quit eating out except for Thursday nights, and we go get a steak. I quit buying potato chips, little debbie's, soda, and anything processed. I've lost 9.5 pounds but feel SOOOOO much better. On the rare occasion we HAVE to eat out I feel like crap afterwards (heartburn , gas etc). Me and my husband are both too heavy and I don't want my 5 year old to ever be fat. I've learned how to put a meal together quickly just to avoid going out to eat and we all are benefitting from it. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  4. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Yea, I wish that discussion would go away too. Look I worked dang hard gaining weight through 4 pregnancies. Now that I got it all on you would think the least they could do is leave me alone now. Well, I do want to be healthy though. Its not enough to just be able to run a bit with the kids, I am getting older and I have to push myself to get more active and eat healthier. Well, that and I am trying to talk my hubby into maybe one more baby. He said if my health improves we can talk about it.

5. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have cut caffinee, soda, processed foods, artifical sweetners, sugar, gluten for about 3 years now. I have changed out my beef and pork to organic from local farmers. I get my chickens from a local farmer, not organic but better than store bought. Raise my chickens for eggs. I eat lot of veggies. Generally a low carb diet. I removed all my teflon coated cookware. I don't use the microwave. Recycled all pastic dinnerware that has the recycling codes 3,6,7. Replaced the matress with one that is not coated in fire retardant chemicals.

Of course this did not happen overnight, it took a few years to change over.

I never see my Doctor anymore. I see a nutritionist. If I ever get sick (which is rare), it goes away in a day or two.

Good luck on getting better.

6. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I have looking for holistic doctors around here but all have been in the larger city an hour away and more seemed to be more fad than anything else. You can get all your supplements, facial creams, cellulite treatments, massage and facials done at your 'doctors". I don't have the time or money for that nonsense. I have a couple goals to hit still. I am trying to get started on qi gong and would like to devote 30 minutes a day to it. I already do 30 minutes walking so an hour a day is pretty good I think. I want to cut sugar from my drinks. So either non sweetened juice that I dilute, or honey sweetened. I also want to try to add more oat bran into my daily intake. We are in the process of moving toward eating only our own free range chickens.

I am trying desperately to avoid gall bladder surgery, lose a bit of weight, and get my pep back. I really think if I can lose that 2nd 12 lbs I will feel a TON better. You would think with all the changes and increases in activity ( I am actually pretty active, you can't have 4 kids, work on a farm, and do all the extras we do and be sedentary) I would lose weight easier but its still a struggle. frustrating.

7. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    I just wanted to touch on the UTI. I used to get them all the time (I thought) Then I discovered it really wasn't a UTI, it was actually irritation from something I was taking. Any vitamin with artificial anything in it, any supplement with red dye, any aspirin besides bayer and the list goes on. I thought if I have this problem someone else must to, so I did a search online and it was amazing how many people have this issue.

I stay away from any foods or supplements that has given me a problem even once. Of course all the years I was treated for UTI's the Dr's never suggested it could be over sensitive bladder or allergies. I had to figure it out my self. [​IMG] Now life is much better! (without chronic UTI's)

(Also a little FYI there is an over the counter bladder pain reliever called AZO that works excellent for bladder irritation sold in the pharmacy) [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Heather, you can take what I say with a grain of salt because I am still overweight. However, the day I decided to quit dieting was the happiest day of my life and I have lost 60 lbs in 3 years. I decided to focus on the healthy foods that I really enjoy. Carrots are out. Blech!!! I LOVE green beans, and I enjoy broccoli, and I have discovered many different salads that I really like and they fill me up. I used to try to eat things that I did not enjoy just to fill up. Extremely unsatisfying!!!! After 3 years of this philosophy, I find myself actually CRAVING certain fruits and veggies and whole grain breads. I no longer diet, and I feel MUCH better.

9. HeatherLynn

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Rockin I keep testing positive for the UTI's. One problem I think is they already know I have some damage with the whole urinary system I guess. They used the word assault. I have no clue. I can only think because of so many c sections. My OB wants to do some surgery with the bladder that she says will correct this and that there is a large possibility the UTI's are caused by this. Someone on here suggested vinegar and water which seems to help but I think I am going to have to give in and go see the doctor for antibiotics. Irritating. I will still stick to acv and water daily though. I don't have much but I tell you I actually could feel a difference with using it.

Deb, I don't diet really. I mostly have been just making changes to my diet and activity. Right now I just really want to try to get these 12 lbs off because that gets me down to a weight goal I made and I really think it may help. But really right now if I go on a "diet" its usually for a specific purpose. Cleansing my liver, or flushing myself out after taking medications, ect. They are very short term and only meant to give my body a boost not really to lose weight. So to get the 12 lbs off I will probably just go vegetarian for a week, drink acv water, and walk like a mad woman.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by