Getting Hens this Spring! Coop ideas/tips?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ECO FRIENDLY, Feb 19, 2014.

1. ECO FRIENDLY

ECO FRIENDLY New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    Hi everyone, looking to keep chickens this spring, and have questions about keeping them.

First of all, I am starting small and looking to expand over time, so I'm thinking I want to start out with a small coop for 3-4 hens and a mobile/transportable run...

Also live in the city, we don't have a lot of animals in town but predators I consider MAY be a problem are definitely Raccoons, Cats, Falcons and Snakes.

What is my best defense against such??
    Also I heard chikens don't need tons of insulation, is this true?
    Could I just build a coop from an old plastic dog house I have??

Thanks for your help! I look forward to everyones response!

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

First, :welcome !!!!!!

Next, look through some of the coop pages get ideas.

What kind of a coop you need depends a great deal on your climate.

The only thing that ALWAYS holds true is

You need plenty of ventilation.

3. ECO FRIENDLY

ECO FRIENDLY New Egg

Feb 19, 2014
    I live in Central Kentucky... We have long brisk winters November-February, and mildly warm summers(but rarely exceeding 100f).
    Ventilation duly noted! It just seems to me Chickens would get cold very easily! :O

4. UndrcvrPullets

UndrcvrPullets Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2014
    My Coop
    I've seen plenty of people re-use dog houses. Just make sure it's ventilated and you can get in and clean the thing. I've heard the term 'poop hammock' too much around here, but seems logical to make it extra easy on yourself by making the area under the roost easy to clean.

Keep in mind that you want to give each of them some space. 10-12" of roost for each and other space usually equates to a 4sq ft of coop per bird.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

They actually don't get cold that easily.

Mine are very happy at 50F, and even though they do not like wind and snow, they are pretty comfortable at 10F.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by