Getting hens to brood

carniven

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Cape Cod
I thought two of our hens were getting broody so I left a clutch of eggs in one of the nests for two weeks, but neither stayed on the nest. I'd like to hatch eggs naturally rather than through incubation. How do I get a hen to brood?

Short answer is that you don't. They'll brood when/if their body tells them too. What kind of hens do you have? Some breeds are know for going broody fairly often and with others it's very rare.

We have 3 buff orpingtons, 3 RI reds and a wyandotte. I was counting on our 2 cochins, but they were injured by the roosters and didn't survive. I guess I'll have to get out the incubator.

The Orpingtons might come thru for you, but if they do it will be on their schedule, not yours. Broody's are more fun, but the bator is more versitile.

:
frow.gif
I was asking this same question repeatedly during Jan. & Feb. Come April & the warmer temps, my Black Australorp decided to get busy being broody! She's been setting since April 1, she's got 4 eggs tucked safely under her. Guess we can only leave broodiness up to mother nature - and mother hens!
lau.gif

One of the Buff Orps went broody yesterday. She's sitting on a clutch of eggs with the first from 4/11 and 4 from yesterday and today. Baby chicks on Mother's Day? I can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom