1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting hens to stop laying for a bit?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheSmallHill, Jan 6, 2015.

1. TheSmallHill

TheSmallHill Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2014
    Georgetown,TX
    Is there a way to get the hens to stop laying for a little while like a month or so? Currently for me the sight of an egg and smell of it cooking makes me retch (weird pregnancy this go around). I understand it's completely ridiculous...giving away and selling aren't an option. Hiding them in the fridge isn't an option. I'm hoping I can add some sort of spice to their scraps or feed that will dry them up for a short period until I get over it. I don't know...[​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I can think of absolutely no way for you to stop your chickens from laying. I commiserate with your nausea brought on by the eggs. I'm sure half of the folks in the country would be happy to have the productivity of your flock! How cold do your night time temps get? How many eggs do you get/week? You might try leaving the eggs in the nest in hopes of getting someone to go broody. That would give you an egg break! Can you get your hubby to gather and tend eggs for you?

3. TheSmallHill

May 26, 2014
    Georgetown,TX
    I knew it was a long shot. [​IMG] I suppose I envisioned an enthusiastic Navajo chief perusing BYC telling me to shake a leaf at them or something. We're in central Texas and the temps at night have JUST become frigid, 25*F or so. It has really been just like a mild fall type of weather and it's getting warmer this week. I currently have 3 of 6 laying. 3 are too young PTL, but I have a buff orpington that is laying maybe 2 or so a week and ze germans (kraienkoppes, 2) are militant about their egg laying. I'm guessing about 8-10 a week total for my girls. I'll try leaving the eggs in there, that's a good idea. My buff has gone broody before, but she's now queen hen so I wonder if she'll give up her crown so easily. Worth a shot!! Thank you!
    My husband has been trying to take care of the eggs here recently. We're at a loss of what to do with them all. He works a lot, morning into late evening sometimes and his coworkers are suspicious about the eggs (maybe I could stamp an EB on them all?) This past saturday he felt sorry for me cooked every stinkin egg we had (with windows open and swamp fan on). I think it took him two hours, but now at least he somewhat knows how to cook an egg.
    And thx for the gentle acknowledgement that this egg nausea thing isn't completely stupid. I don't understand it.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It will pass before you know it, and BTW, congratulations. Be cautious, after that baby is born. I know a gal who's mother was allergic to shrimp ONLY when she was carrying this acquaintance of mine. Shrimp never bothered her during any of her other pregnancies, and sure enough, this girl was allergic to shrimp. I'm sure a food aversion is not the same thing as an allergy, but something to keep in mind as you start feeding your baby people food... and even as you nurse!

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's possible, but the methods are drastic. I don't think you'd really want to do that to your hens. You can deprive them of food and deprive them of light. Either or both would probably stop egg laying.

But then you'd have stressed hens, and I'm sure you love them too much for that.

I would simply give the eggs away until you learn to like them again.

But be forewarned it may not happen. A good friend was turned off by eggs when she was pregnant, and still can't eat eggs to this day. She's now in her late 60s.

6. TheSmallHill

May 26, 2014
    Georgetown,TX
    I'm hoping to muscle my way through an omelette in a month or two since my preggy diet calls for 2 eggs a day...mercy.
    Thanks for the tips! I certainly couldn't starve them of food and light and chicken joy. (prov. 12:10 A righteous man hath regard for the life of his beast..etc.)
    But knowing I'd have to go to that extreme maybe I can post a 'free eggs, you take and clean yourself' ad. Actually that might backfire. DH may have to figure this one out. Maybe I can find a neighbor that my husband can deliver eggs to on the weekends for the time being. I know if I did it they would think something was wrong with them since I'd be gagging.

But thank y'all for the allergy warnings and such! I'll keep this at the forefront, especially if this lasts quite a bit longer.
    And also thanks for the congrats!
    Bless you guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by