Getting Holderread Sebastopol!!!!**PICS!**

Discussion in 'Geese' started by theron, Dec 18, 2010.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    I am really excited because I sent out the payment to get a pair of gray curly breasted Sebastopols from Dave Holderread!! Im even happier because he will be discontinuing breeding sebastopols and was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get any. We even have a new 8' by 12' shed that is waiting for their arrival. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quick ?: How would I go about introducing the new pair of sebastopols to the 6 sebastopols I have?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    YOU MUST SHARE PICTURES!! And I emailed asking what they had for sale for sebastopols of course just my luck the ones that I wanted costed from $500-600....
    What I have done is to have there pens/runs by each other so they can see each other then after about a week or 2 I let them together but everyone has there own way of doing it...
    I am so excited for you!!

3. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    COOL! [​IMG]

4. DaveK

DaveK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Quote:Ducklover's advice is good if you are able to do that. They don't even have to be each side of the same fence as long as they can see and hear each other but the closer the better. This allows the new birds, even if they do not know each other well, the company of another non resident goose and allows them to settle in a bit before dealing with the social aspects of becoming part of your existing flock. Good time of year for this though with the short days and bad weather. No breeding season behavior to complicate things. Earlier this year the Holderreads told me that their birds get no whole grains but only a prepared pellet? crumble? Can't remember at the moment but translated that means prepared food out of a bag. Less stress on your newbies if you start out that way even if your usual diet is quite different. His birds often do not start eating wonderfully when they go to new homes by many reports and feeding them as close to what they were used to as possible will help tremendously. The same weather making social issues easier does make having them eating well important also. Good Luck with your new pair. Maybe post some pics after they are settled in? [email protected] www.sebastopols.freeforums.org

5. DaveK

DaveK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Forgot to mention that a number of different people have been in touch regarding their Sebastopol purchases this. More than usual because of completely selling out. At any rate they have all reported that the birds, both young and old, appear to have been well handled and are well adjusted. Some have been quite tame and curious about their new surroundings and people right out of the starting gate. If everything else is in order this sure helps the adjustment and settling in process tremendously. Hopefully your own new pair will be no different and everything will go smoothly. [email protected] www.sebastopols.freeforums.org

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Congratulations on getting the birds. I was offered a white pair for $500.00. After viewing pictures of them, I thought they were no better than what I already have. I decided they would not benefit my breeding program, so I passed.

I've always been able to introduce my birds immediately and have never had a problem. Of course, none of it ever happend during breeding season.

7. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    I'm sure they will be wonderful [​IMG]

8. theron

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    Don't worry I won't forget to post pics when I get them. [​IMG]

9. theron

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    I got the email today saying that the geese were getting shipped out today and should be here by Thursday!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by