Getting humidity DOWN??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by erijn5, Apr 21, 2012.

1. erijn5

erijn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    We have a home made incubator it is huge hold like 300 eggs ...this is my 3rd hatch in it and I just put them in. I cannot get the humidity down even with the vents open.. I think I remember that the humidity for chicken eggs are suppose to be between 40-50% before hatch...and I think the bator has just absorbed the water from the last 2 hatches and that is why it is still so moist in there..

So my question is without removing the eggs,,,how do I get the humidity down without damaging the eggs??

Should I not put anymore water in the tray in the bottom till it lowers??? Thanks

[​IMG]

2. lovinchicks

lovinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    I don't know how yours is set up, but ours is homemade also. We use aluminum foil on top of our water dish to help control humidity. If it's too high we cover more of it up, if low uncover more. Our water dish is under our heat source though so I don't know if it would work as well with yours being at the bottom, but it's worth a try.

3. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Thank you I will give it a try...something has got to give.. I have been trying for 2 days to get it down..[​IMG]

4. Peter1975

Peter1975 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    What he just said....aluminum foil :)

5. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    And the 40/50% is correct? Thanks

6. Peter1975

Peter1975 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Aye, i'm in the UK and we have a higher ambient humidity than most places in the USA (some people seem to live in the desert!)....I tend to hover around 35-40%.

7. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Thanks [​IMG]

8. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    a bowl of rice will help remove excess humidity. It will draw all the moisture out of the bator.

9. erijn5

May 8, 2008
    South Central IL
    Thank you as of right now the foil is working, but if it shoots back up I will put that in there... Thanks ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by