Getting humidity to drop

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jazzchicken, Nov 24, 2007.

1. jazzchicken

jazzchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2007
    Georgia
    Hi! the humidity in the bator is at 57% and I took out water and it still won't decrease. Can anyone help??

2. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    I would keep takeing out more water.[​IMG]

3. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    I was just about to ask this question! My humidity is 80% and it's only day 5! It's a good thing I got a hygrometer when I did! I've heard of people opening the bator for a while, but how do I do that without chilling the eggs?

I've taken out all the water.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    In order to get it to drop you need to decrease SURFACE AREA, not volume. That is why a sponge in a tray will dramtically raise humidity. If your house is humid then taking water out will not be a big help.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, take out the water from one of the bottom trays or let it run dry for a day or two. If that was the air cell I could see in your other post though, I say you want to keep it high. Banty eggs plus the fact they are porous will lead them to dry out alot faster due to increased flux out of the shell and big surface to volume ratio.

6. jazzchicken

Nov 17, 2007
    Georgia
    Silkiechicken, I was thinking that that bubble was the air cell. So if it is, I need high humidity right?

7. earthnut

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    I'm gonna let mine run dry for a day. I'm scared of opening it for long, because it's cold here. [​IMG] Good luck to both of us!

8. Silkie_boi

Silkie_boi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2007
    Yes that is correct jazzchicken, u need higher humidity to add moisture to you eggs and make the air cell smaller.

9. jazzchicken

Nov 17, 2007
    Georgia
    ok, I will keep it as it is. It seems as though that egg is the only one that looks normal.

10. earthnut

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    I've seen humidity recommendations up to 65% before day 18, so you may be fine. Dunno. Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by