Getting Impatient -- half my flock STILL NOT LAYING at 30 weeks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FaithWalkFarms, Oct 27, 2013.

1. FaithWalkFarms

FaithWalkFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2013
    Aggieland, Texas
    Sigh .... I just KNEW I'd have all six of my girls laying by Halloween.

So far, the two EEs and my BR are the only ones -- EEs started first. Those three have all be laying over a month (every day too).

But, my RIR, SLW, and SF are taking their sweet time! They show all the signs -- bright, BRIGHT red combs and they assume the "stance" when you walk by them.

Nothing .... and we have checked all over their yard for hidden nests.

Now that I'm eating Paleo, I go through eggs like crazy ... ready for more than 3 a day!

Humph.

I am starting to get a wee bit worried -- just thought they'd be a bit more prolific at 30 weeks.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Patience, chickens are good at making you develop that aren't they. They say a watched pot never boils, apparently watched chickens don't lay eggs either. Frustrating things. At least if they are squatting they should be laying within a couple of weeks usually, so hopefully the slackers will be starting up soon here. The fall maturing pullets do seem to take a little longer to start laying, especially if they aren't commercial type laying birds, for some reason this year seems to be worse than usual with lots of late layers too. Do you have them under lights?

3. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

I am having the same issue. 14 spring pullets, 30 weeks, all hatchery barred rocks, no eggs, nada, not one!!! They have been showing signs for way more than a month, close to two months now, but no eggs. They are all healthy, happy chickens, but no eggs yet!

I was at the feed store yesterday and a gentleman there said the same thing. His were not laying either. It's popping up on the internet also....read an article about geese in AK with low or no fertility and egg problems, among other animal issues....hmmmm

Would be nice to know what the reason is!

4. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Heavier breeds take longer to lay their first egg; my Buff Orpingtons and Silver-Laced Wyandottes were almost the last to begin laying (my first Easter Egger however, was the very last to start laying). Shorter days are also a factor; without enough hours of light, their systems will not start producing eggs.

5. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    What are you feeding them? I would make sure they were getting adequate supplies of animal protein. I am not a fan of vegetarian chicken feeds.

6. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    EE's are one of the most finicky layers. They are, technically, mixed breeds, and could carry traits from ANY breed that was mixed in for them when it comes to laying. So if a late-bloomer was bred into their lines (say a Barnvelder, for example), they may not lay until they are 9 months old!

As for the others, it could be the issues we're having with this cold season. I'm down in Georgia, and usually it doesn't reach freezing temperatures here until January. But just last week, we had two days in the mid 20's! I get the feeling it's going to be one REALLY rough winter, and the chickens may be sensing that. I've had a bantam cochin and two polish that are rather prolific layers, just completely STOP laying! One bantam cochin hasn't even looked twice at a nest lately! It has been a month since I got any eggs from her - and she's not molting. As for the polish, I did have to put one down yesterday after a very serious injury, but the other one has stopped laying too. She actually lays fairly well for a polish, and isn't molting either, but she just randomly stopped all of a sudden.

Meanwhile I've got four bantam hens that should have started laying, plus an ameraucana, a bantam frizzle cochin hen, two EEs, and then four sumatra hens. The only one I'm NOT really expecting to see anything from, are the Sumatra hens. But the others haven't started laying yet either. Given the conditions, and the random stop from the ones that were already laying, I'm not too worried about it. I figure it will happen when it happens.

I have two plymouth rocks, two leghorns, and another ameraucana that are still laying, so I'm getting five per day right now. For me, that's good for the time being.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by