Getting impatient! Still don't know silkie genders!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gritsar, Nov 30, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm not posting new pics of my two silkies, Jethro and Ellie Mae, because they really haven't changed in the last month. They've gotten bigger in overall size, but no further comb or wattle development. Jethro has dark wattles, but barely any comb. You can't see comb or wattles on Ellie at all. They are now 25 weeks old.

They still fight each other at least once daily. Ellie Mae is totally silent, unless you pick her up. Jethro makes clucking noises that sound identical to my pullets.

I haven't seen either of them show interest in the nestboxes, but of course I'm not with them 24/7. I still have one egg that I haven't identified. It was yellow-ish and small, but still seemed much too large to have come out of a silkie. One egg and that's it.

When will I know the genders of these two??? [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    When they lay an egg or crow? [​IMG] I know, [​IMG] me now! You got a 50/50 chance, so one of them has to be a girl, right?

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I know! Despite the wattles I'm still betting on Jethro being the pullet. Something about this bird is just "hen-like".

4. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I am feeling your pain!!! I have 10 silkie chicks.....they are only about two weeks old now, but when it comes down to deciding who I am going to keep, it's going to drive me nuts! Hahaha! (Plus I have 20 cochin chicks right now too, but I bet they will be easier to sex.....) Post again on the thread with pics once you know for sure! Those that come back and post when they know for sure really help me a lot. I spend a lot of time in this forum just browsing old posts.

Here's to hoping you know something soon!!! [​IMG]

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to my world...I went through the first 3 months of my Blue Silkie's life thinking she was really a he and I'd have to rehome...there was just something about this bird that seemed rooish to me...but lo and behold, the crest randomly sprouted feathers and it poofed up! After I just finished a rant on the Silkie thread about having purchased a rooster. [​IMG] I felt like such an idiot.

You should post pics! Sometimes it takes a fresh veiw to see the little details that the actual owners may sometimes miss or over-look. I needed a fresh perspective on my 'roo' and there wasn't anyone who thought the bird was a male aside from myself.

I have a white with a comb and wattles forming and they have been present since she was 3 months. And my blue has neither to speak of. Both are 7 months old. I swear, there's no two Silkies that follow the same rules.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Try posting another pic... maybe someone can help.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'll try and get more pics tomorrow Red, but really they look the same as they did. Last time the folks were divided on gender, especially on Jethro. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Here's the pics from a couple of weeks ago:

Jethro (with wattles, but the wattles haven't changed at all)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ellie Mae:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't go by their "poofs" cuz I've given each of them a haircut...and didn't do a great job of it.

9. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Honestly, both look like girls to me [​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Jethro may be a boy cause his feathers more spikey on his crest.....
    Yeah.. too hard to tell though.. drat! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by