Getting Impatient!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lorindaeb, Nov 20, 2012.

1. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2012
    Lynden, Wa
    I'm getting a little impatient with my girls!!! They are 21 weeks old, buff orps and EEs, and I wanna see eggs!!!!! Up north where I'm from, there isn't a lot of daylight, so I rigged up a 60 watt bulb in the coop to give them more "light" to see if it kicks them into gear. I know it can take several more weeks for them to be ready, but I want to see some results!! [​IMG]
    I keep seeing people post pictures of their eggs and I can't wait to do so as well! Their combs and faces sure are red on some days, but then of course on others, they are just a light pink. This morning they were all bright red...all four of them. Only one of them lets me get close enough to touch her (a buff orp) and she kinda squats down when you touch her, but I don't know if it is the true squating that everyone seems to talk about. The others, well, who knows, they run away as soon as you get close. They want to follow me, but don't want me touching them. Anyway, that's it for my rant. LOL! Come on girls! Show me the eggs!!![​IMG]
    ~Lorinda~

2. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Sounds like you will need an egg basket soon... Come springtime and you will have too many!

3. lorindaeb

Sep 15, 2012
    Lynden, Wa
    I sure hope so! It's like waiting all year for Christmas! The anticipation is killing me. Every morning when I go to let them out (they free range in my backyard all day), I look inside the coop, hoping to see something. But, no bueno. Nothing.....yet. I have also been looking around the yard, incase they have laid an egg somewhere. But so far, they haven't. I had the nest box blocked off for a long time because they were sleeping in it. I just opened it up this evening and thank God, they have learned that the roosts are for sleeping. They nibbled a little at the bedding (wood shavings) and then jumped up on the roost for the night. Yeah....I spyed on them for a while to see what they would do now that the nest boxes are open again. But yes, I sure hope to get eggs soon, especially now that I have provided extra light for them.

4. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    The wait will be worth it. :). I have had lots of hens and I still feel proud for a pullet the day she lays her first egg. Except for the game hens who guard them like they laid a golden egg.. Hehe

5. lorindaeb

Sep 15, 2012
    Lynden, Wa
    [​IMG]
    Small....but my first egg!!

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Congratulations![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

1 person likes this.
  8. lorindaeb

Sep 15, 2012
    Lynden, Wa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of my EEs is laying now as well. I have an idea who it was because she was pacing the yard for a while. What a pretty green color as well! My BO that is laying has been spending time off and on in the nest box, I bet I'll have another by the end is the day! So exciting!! And I found both eggs in the box, so the golf balls must have worked. I've decided to keep the golf balls in there for now...even though the girls tend to move them to the other nest box or the bottom of the coop all together.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That is a beautiful green egg! And yes, they pace a lot when they first start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by